Sao Paulo agrees deal with F1 to host Brazilian GP until 2025

Sao Paulo is set to keep the Brazilian Grand Prix until at least 2025, with local officials announcing on Thursday they are poised to sign a new Formula 1 deal

Sao Paulo agrees deal with F1 to host Brazilian GP until 2025

Despite a recent push by the Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro to hold a race in Rio from 2021, the provisional calendar issued by F1 earlier this week declared that the country's race next year would take place at Interlagos.

It now looks like the Rio project could be over for much longer, however, with F1 said to be close to signing a contract that will keep the race at its current home until 2025. The event will be known as the Sao Paulo Grand Prix.

Speaking to media at a press conference on Thursday, Sao Paulo governor Joao Doria said: "I am proud to reveal that F1 has just renewed a contract to hold the Brazilian GP until 2025.

"The Interlagos race track has been confirmed as the venue for the next five years.

"The contract will be signed by Mayor Bruno Covas and Liberty Media, the rights holder of F1."

It is understood that the decision to hold the race in Sao Paolo is not related to sustainability issues surrounding the Rio track, which needed environmental permissions before work could begin and faced opposition from environmental groups.

PLUS: Why F1 could be blundering with its landmark new circuit deal

Instead, the decision to keep the race at Interlagos was prompted by it having a ready track and Sao Paulo being in a position to commit to a long-term deal.

Sao Paulo mayor Bruno Covas said that the name change away from the Brazilian GP was prompted by the enhanced involvement of the local authorities. It is understood that the race will also have a new promoter.

Covas said: "The contract is being finalised and will be signed in the next few days.

"Next year, on November 14, we will have the Sao Paulo GP.

"The contract is valid for five years and can be extended for an additional five years, so can go up to 2030."

Despite the comments from the Sao Paulo officials, F1 has not confirmed the plans for the Brazilian Grand Prix.

When asked by Autosport about the potential new contract with Sao Paulo, a spokesman said: "We do not comment on commercial discussions regarding any of our partners."

shares
comments
Ocon took longer than expected to get back up to speed on F1 return
Previous article

Ocon took longer than expected to get back up to speed on F1 return

Next article

Leclerc: "I'm a stronger driver" after difficult F1 season

Leclerc: "I'm a stronger driver" after difficult F1 season
Load comments
Explaining the key aspects of Porsche and Audi's planned F1 entries Plus

Explaining the key aspects of Porsche and Audi's planned F1 entries

The VW Group’s German superpowers of sportscar racing have all but confirmed they are coming to F1 when the next set of engine rules come into force in 2026. Here's why both manufacturers are all set to take the plunge, and crucially how it might work

How Vegas went from byword for F1 indifference to grand Liberty coup Plus

How Vegas went from byword for F1 indifference to grand Liberty coup

Holding a race in Las Vegas – party central, a city of dreams and decadence and, yes, more than a smattering of tackiness – has been on Liberty Media’s most-wanted list since it acquired Formula 1’s commercial rights. But, as LUKE SMITH explains, F1 has been here before and the relationship didn’t work out

Why de Vries' F1 practice debut could add a new path to his current crossroads Plus

Why de Vries' F1 practice debut could add a new path to his current crossroads

A Formula 2 and Formula E champion, Nyck de Vries is currently considering where his future in motorsport lies. Continuing in WEC and Formula E is possible and he's also courted glances Stateside after impressing in an IndyCar test. But ahead of his Formula 1 FP1 debut with Williams, he could have another option if he impresses...

Formula 1
May 18, 2022
Why Leclerc's historics crash shouldn't put off F1 drivers tasting history Plus

Why Leclerc's historics crash shouldn't put off F1 drivers tasting history

OPINION: For a demo run ahead of Monaco's Historique Grand Prix, Charles Leclerc was blessed with the opportunity to drive Niki Lauda's former Ferrari 312B3 - but a brake failure at Rascasse suggested Leclerc's Monaco hoodoo transcended contemporary F1. Although an awkward incident, Leclerc deserves credit for embracing F1's history

Formula 1
May 18, 2022
Why the lack of “needle” between Red Bull and Ferrari in F1 2022 is a mirage Plus

Why the lack of “needle” between Red Bull and Ferrari in F1 2022 is a mirage

OPINION: The fight for the 2022 Formula 1 world titles between Red Bull and Ferrari so far features little of the public animosity that developed between the former and Mercedes last year. But that isn’t to say things are full on friendly or won’t get much worse very quickly…

Formula 1
May 17, 2022
The underdog F1 squad that thrust Senna into the limelight Plus

The underdog F1 squad that thrust Senna into the limelight

The Toleman TG184 was the car that could, according to legend, have given Ayrton Senna his first F1 win but for Alain Prost and Jacky Ickx at Monaco in 1984. That could be stretching the boundaries of the truth a little, but as STUART CODLING explains, the team's greatest legacy was in giving the Brazilian prodigy passed over by bigger outfits an opportunity

Formula 1
May 16, 2022
Why Aston Martin is unlikely to repeat Jaguar’s F1 mistakes Plus

Why Aston Martin is unlikely to repeat Jaguar’s F1 mistakes

Two famous manufacturer teams born out of humble midfield origins, splashing the cash while attempting to rise to the top of F1 in record time. There are clear parallels between Lawrence Stroll’s Aston Martin and the doomed Jaguar Racing project of 22 years ago, but MARK GALLAGHER believes struggling Aston can avoid a similar fate

Formula 1
May 15, 2022
How rejuvenated Haas recovered its F1 mojo Plus

How rejuvenated Haas recovered its F1 mojo

US-owned but until recently Russian-backed, Haas seems to have reached a turning point in car performance after three gruesome seasons. And it needs to if it’s to attract fresh investment. Team boss Gunther Steiner tells OLEG KARPOV how close Haas came to the abyss

Formula 1
May 14, 2022