Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

F1 Canadian GP: Russell defeats Antonelli to Canada F1 sprint pole

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell defeats Antonelli to Canada F1 sprint pole

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell takes sprint pole ahead of Antonelli

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell takes sprint pole ahead of Antonelli

Red Bull F1 team boss: "No intention behind" public meeting between Verstappen and Wolff

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull F1 team boss: "No intention behind" public meeting between Verstappen and Wolff

F1 compromise to make 2027 engine change could include shortening races

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 compromise to make 2027 engine change could include shortening races

Mercedes and McLaren debut host of updates at F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Mercedes and McLaren debut host of updates at F1 Canadian GP

F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli fastest ahead of sprint qualifying, Russell spins

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli fastest ahead of sprint qualifying, Russell spins

What Kyle Busch meant to NASCAR and the modern fan

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
What Kyle Busch meant to NASCAR and the modern fan

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

Renault: Ricciardo "microsecond" MGU-K spike caused by kerb strike

Renault claims the MGU-K issue that led to Daniel Ricciardo's exclusion from Singapore Formula 1 qualifying was caused by a kerb strike and had just one microsecond of lap-time benefit

Ricciardo qualified eighth at the Marina Bay track but was reported to the stewards by FIA technical delegate Jo Bauer Following the session as it had been detected that Ricciardo's car had exceeded the MGU-K power limit of 120kW during Q1.

Renault made it clear in a statement released on Twitter that the power spike created an advantage of just one microsecond - a millionth of a second - and pointed out that it did not occur on the lap that got Ricciardo through to Q2.

After meeting team representatives Alan Permane and Remi Taffin and hearing Renault's explanation, the stewards announced that Ricciardo had been excluded from qualifying.

They cited previous technical infringements when no advantage was gained as precedents, and as a result Ricciardo drops to the back of the grid for Sunday's race.

"The [stewards'] decision goes quite far into detailing that there was absolutely no advantage," Renault team boss Cyril Abiteboul told Autosport.

"It was not on a lap that counted, they wrote all of that themselves. A bit of an excuse of their own decision - I don't think they feel extremely comfortable with their own decision.

"We are not challenging the fact that there was a bit of an over-rev when we hit the kerb. It's the first time in Singapore that [has] happened."

Abiteboul said Renault has taken measures to avoid a repeat of the issue in the race, but added that the manufacturer still needs to investigate the problem and come up with a longer term fix.

"We don't know, maybe there is a system to review, and we will investigate that," he said.

"We've got some contingency measures to prevent that from happening.

"We need to understand why on one lap, on one kerb, from all the laps we've done this year and the previous years it has happened. That's something that we still need to understand."

The FIA has subsequently revealed that Ricciardo will use a new MGU-K and control electronics for the remainder of the weekend.

This is an additional element beyond the seasonal limit, which Ricciardo has previously exceeded anyway, and makes no difference to his position at the back of the grid.

Previous article Wolff: Mercedes needs "enormous" F1 Singapore pace to beat Leclerc
Next article Grosjean reverts to Melbourne-spec car, insists Haas is not "lost"

Top Comments

Latest news