Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

How GM tech accelerated Cadillac's F1 entry

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How GM tech accelerated Cadillac's F1 entry

MotoGP chief defends officiating of Catalan GP

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP chief defends officiating of Catalan GP

The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

Feature
Formula 1
The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

How Aprilia's Barcelona collapse showed the pressures of leading MotoGP's title race

Feature
MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
How Aprilia's Barcelona collapse showed the pressures of leading MotoGP's title race

Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

National
Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Feature
IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Red Bull buys Jaguar Racing

The billionaire owner of energy drink manufacturer Red Bull, Dietrich Mateschitz, has bought the Jaguar Racing Formula 1 team from Ford, as exclusively predicted by autosport.com in September

Red Bull Racing has acquired the team as a going concern and will use Cosworth engines (see separate story) in 2005. the new owner has asked current team principal Tony Purnell, and managing director David Pitchforth, to stay on in their current roles.

Ford announced the deal, which was only concluded at the weekend, at a press conference in London on Monday.

"I'm very relieved that even though we've taken the decision to exit Formula 1 we've been able to arrive at a solution where we've found buyers who will take the businesses forward," said Ford's chief technical officer Richard Parry-Jones.

"Since we made the announcment to sell our F1 businesses in September. We have received outstanding support from the management and employees at Jaguar Racing and we have worked very hard to secure a sale to a reputable buyer."

Details of the deal are subject to confidentiality agreements, but Red Bull is believed to have purchased the team, which Ford put up for sale earlier this year claiming the cost of competing in F1 had become too expensive, for a purely nominal fee. The proviso however was that Ford must be convinced the new owner would invest more than £200 million into the team over the next three years.

"Our move to fully owning a Formula 1 race team makes good business sense for Red Bull," said Mateschitz. "Add to this the opportunity of being directly involved in a sport from which I derive great personal pleasure, then it is easy to understand how delighted I am to have made this purchase.

"It is the logical and final step in the process we started with the Red Bull Junior programme, where we identify, advise and promote young talent through the different formula from karting to the very pinnacle - Formula 1."

Previous article Jordan To Use Toyota Engines in 2005
Next article Analysis: Red Bull Buys Jaguar on Deadline Day

Top Comments