Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Feature
Formula 1
Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Quarantined McLaren F1 personnel have returned home from Australia

McLaren has confirmed that all of its Formula 1 team members who remained in Australia because of coronavirus concerns have now safely returned home

In the wake of a McLaren employee testing positive for coronavirus at the Australian Grand Prix, a further 16 team personnel were put in to quarantine for two weeks to ensure they had not been infected.

Other staff, including racing director Andrea Stella, stayed in Melbourne to help offer support to their colleagues who were trapped in hotel rooms.

But with the two-week self isolation period having come to an end, and Australian health authorities happy that there were no concerns about them carrying the virus, the team members travelled back earlier this week and have now arrived back in the UK.

A statement from McLaren said: "We are pleased to confirm that as of yesterday evening, all team personnel who were in self-isolation in Melbourne, as well as management who had stayed with them, have now safety return home."

Once the original McLaren team member tested positive for coronavirus, the outfit moved quickly to withdraw from the season opening F1 race.

It was that decision that prompted rival teams to follow suit, and trigger a sequence of events that forced the cancellation of the Albert Park race.

Reflecting on that call, McLaren CEO Zak Brown said the team never doubted it was the right move.

"Even though we're all racers and we were looking forward to hitting the track, it was an easy decision to make," he said.

"Protecting the wellbeing of our team is always the number one priority.

"We have a duty of care to our people, fans and wider F1 stakeholders, and that's why we informed Formula 1 and the FIA of our withdrawal shortly after hearing on the Thursday night that a member of the team had tested positive."

Last week it was announced that the 2021 car rules would be delayed to the following year in a bid to reduce the financial strain of development this year, given the current climate.

McLaren soon confirmed it would be allowed to modify its 2020 chassis next season to accomodate the Mercedes engine it will use in place of Renault power.

Previous article Briatore: Ferrari wasted '18 with Raikkonen instead of promoting Leclerc
Next article Fittipaldi, Deletraz become official Haas F1 reserve drivers for '20

Top Comments

Latest news