Miami braced for lawsuits over planned 2019 Formula 1 race

Miami's Mayor Francis Suarez admits the city will likely face legal threats over the planned Formula 1 Grand Prix, but insists everything will be done to avoid disrupting local residents

Miami braced for lawsuits over planned 2019 Formula 1 race

Miami is locked in contract talks with Formula 1 over hosting a street race in October next year.

But during the approval of that first step of the process by the City Commission earlier this month, commissioner Joe Carollo raised the likelihood of legal threats from locals before he gave his approval.

"I was around back in the heyday of the Miami Grand Prix, and we're going to have major activity that disrupts - either through noise or street closures - the lives of these thousands of residents," said Carollo.

"We're going to end up being sued and I'm going to tell you that they're probably going to win suits.

"As a family [the City Commission], we need to look at this.

"Having said that, I'm ready to move forward because this [step] is only authorising the administration to sit down, discuss and negotiate and come back to us for a final ruling."

In an exclusive interview with Autosport, Suarez acknowledged those concerns but said everything would be done to allay the fears of residents who will face disruption.

"The residents are our bosses," he said. "And we have to take into account their concerns.

"The two major homeowner associations in the area have already expressed some concerns, but also said that this may be good for us. I think that's a positive start.

"Often residents can start off in opposition, but the fact they're open to working with promoters and other stakeholders, for me that's a big positive.

"From what I've seen from the promoters, they are very conscientious that this is a race that does impact residents and businesses, and everything I've seen from them indicates that they're going to listen and work hard to make everybody happy."

shares
comments
Mercedes unhappy FIA named Allison, Sassi in Ferrari F1 ERS case
Previous article

Mercedes unhappy FIA named Allison, Sassi in Ferrari F1 ERS case

Next article

Ross Brawn says it's naive to expect much F1 action in Monaco

Ross Brawn says it's naive to expect much F1 action in Monaco
How Ferrari’s Monaco headache became its Silverstone migraine Plus

How Ferrari’s Monaco headache became its Silverstone migraine

OPINION: Ferrari won the British Grand Prix with Carlos Sainz, but it ultimately cost Charles Leclerc a chance to make a bigger dent in Max Verstappen's title lead by leaving the Monegasque out on old tyres towards the end. Like Monaco, indecision over strategy proved to be the Scuderia's biggest issue - and if the team doesn't reflect, the headache can only intensify

The five factors behind Sainz winning a British GP he’d twice lost Plus

The five factors behind Sainz winning a British GP he’d twice lost

Formula 1 has a newest race winner, in a grand prix the victor appeared to have lost twice, only to charge back to headline a sensational and dramatic British Grand Prix. From a massive start crash to a late sprint finish, here’s how five factors saw Carlos Sainz take his maiden grand prix win

Formula 1
Jul 4, 2022
Why there was no case to answer in Aston’s latest F1 copycat saga Plus

Why there was no case to answer in Aston’s latest F1 copycat saga

The appearance of a revised Aston Martin in Spain caused controversy but PAT SYMONDS explains why the FIA investigation found the Silverstone team had no case to answer

Formula 1
Jul 3, 2022
Why it's Red Bull that really leads a three-way fight so far at Silverstone Plus

Why it's Red Bull that really leads a three-way fight so far at Silverstone

After a slow start to Friday at Silverstone, all the Formula 1 teams had to effectively cram in a day’s worth of practice into one hour. But there was still plenty to learn and while Ferrari topped the times, a three-way battle is brewing ahead of the British Grand Prix

Formula 1
Jul 2, 2022
Why the future is bright for the British GP Plus

Why the future is bright for the British GP

It wasn’t so long ago the situation looked bleak at Silverstone with the future of the British Grand Prix under threat. But a transformation has seen it restored to one of the most important races on the Formula 1 calendar, with bigger and better to come

Formula 1
Jul 1, 2022
Could mixed fortunes for F1's leading Brits turn around at Silverstone? Plus

Could mixed fortunes for F1's leading Brits turn around at Silverstone?

For the first time in many years, none of the local racers starts among the favourites for the British Grand Prix. But George Russell, Lewis Hamilton and Lando Norris could have reasons for optimism

Formula 1
Jun 30, 2022
Verstappen exclusive: Why F1’s champion isn’t fazed by Silverstone return Plus

Verstappen exclusive: Why F1’s champion isn’t fazed by Silverstone return

Max Verstappen is the world’s number one racing driver… and he’s determined to keep it that way. Speaking exclusively to GP Racing's OLEG KARPOV, the Red Bull driver explains why he’s relishing the 2022 championship battle with Charles Leclerc – and why he’s not worried about returning to Silverstone, the scene of the biggest accident of his career last year

Formula 1
Jun 30, 2022
Why Red Bull’s RB17 hypercar can help its F1 team Plus

Why Red Bull’s RB17 hypercar can help its F1 team

On Tuesday, Red Bull laid out its plans to develop and build a new hypercar - the RB17 - penned by Adrian Newey. As the project itself sates Newey as a creative outlet, it also offers Red Bull's Formula 1 team a number of new and exciting avenues to pursue

Formula 1
Jun 29, 2022