Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Why Norris was “surprised” to claim Dutch GP pole position

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Norris was “surprised” to claim Dutch GP pole position

Wolff jokes that Mercedes already has Verstappen for the "real hero races"

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Wolff jokes that Mercedes already has Verstappen for the "real hero races"

Supercars Ipswich: Feeney takes second win to secure unlikely Sprint Cup title

Supercars
Ipswich Super 440
Supercars Ipswich: Feeney takes second win to secure unlikely Sprint Cup title

What we learned from the 2026 F1 Dutch GP sprint race and qualifying

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
What we learned from the 2026 F1 Dutch GP sprint race and qualifying

Verstappen suffering from "flu-like" illness as Zandvoort exposes Red Bull's fundamental problems

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Verstappen suffering from "flu-like" illness as Zandvoort exposes Red Bull's fundamental problems

Why Verstappen's 2026 Mercedes contact was very different from last year's

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Verstappen's 2026 Mercedes contact was very different from last year's

F1 Dutch GP: Norris pips Russell to grab pole

Formula 1
Dutch GP
F1 Dutch GP: Norris pips Russell to grab pole

BTCC Donington Park: Morgan leads dominant 1-2 for Plato’s old team

BTCC
Donington Park (Grand Prix Circuit)
BTCC Donington Park: Morgan leads dominant 1-2 for Plato’s old team

Mercedes refuses to comment on Ross Brawn F1 exit reports

Mercedes has refused to confirm or deny reports that its team principal Ross Brawn will leave the outfit at the end of the year

Brawn's future has been the subject of speculation since the start of the campaign, with the outfit openly admitting that it was making plans for a long-term handover to Paddy Lowe.

A BBC report claims that Brawn has lost patience with the team finalising that plan and will now leave the outfit.

The key decision to be made was when that handover would take place - and whether or not Brawn would remain in another management role within the Mercedes corporation.

With the end of the current campaign looming, talks have intensified in recent weeks to sort the situation, and Brawn has made it clear several times that he will only remain if he maintains his strong influence.

Mercedes refused to elaborate on the situation, with a team spokesman issuing a firm 'no comment'.

AUTOSPORT SAYS
Jonathan Noble, Group F1 editor (@NobleF1)

There have been countless stories surrounding Ross Brawn's future this season, and it has always been a question of waiting for a decision to be made.

The looming end to the campaign has increased pressure to make that call and talk that Brawn is leaving is nothing new, with a German report in Sport Bild earlier this month claiming the same thing.

What is new with the latest report, however, is that Mercedes has issued a 'no comment' rather than a denial as it did last time.

Although the shift in official response to the story may be subtle, the fact that Mercedes has not elected to dismiss the news this time is perhaps significant.

All the focus will now be on what Brawn says when he arrives at the Abu Dhabi paddock on Thursday.

Previous article Abu Dhabi GP preview quotes: Williams
Next article Kvyat backed to emulate Raikkonen's arrival in Formula 1

Top Comments

Latest news