Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

What will F1's switch to a 60-40 power split bring? The drivers give their verdict

Formula 1
Canadian GP
What will F1's switch to a 60-40 power split bring? The drivers give their verdict

Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

Super Formula
Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

How McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Feature
Formula 1
How McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Mercedes F1 team doesn't fear Australian GP suspension protest

Mercedes Formula 1 boss Toto Wolff insists he does not fear prospect of a potential protest against his team's suspension system at the Australian Grand Prix

Debate among teams regarding the legality of clever hydraulic suspensions systems in Formula 1 has been ongoing since Ferrari sought clarification regarding the legality of a 'pre-loaded' concept late last year.

With the situation still not sorted - but a technical directive on the matter from the FIA expected before next week's first pre-season test - there remains uncertainty about how things will develop.

One scenario - which Force India technical director Andy Green said this week he could see happening - is for Ferrari to get a definitive answer on the matter by protesting the trick suspension systems in Melbourne.

For Mercedes, which has been one of the leaders in pushing suspension technology, an FIA ruling going against it, or a protest in Melbourne, could prove a major headache early in the season.

But speaking at the launch of the team's 2017 F1 challenger at Silverstone on Thursday, Wolff said he was completely relaxed about the situation.

"There have been discussions in the TRM [Technical Regulations Meeting] around suspensions and legality," he said when asked by Autosport about the situation.

"As far as Mercedes is concerned, I am very confident and comfortable with the situation.

"We know what the rules say and what you are allowed and not allowed to do.

"It is the usual kicking at the beginning of the season, and it is not something that is worrying for us."

Previous article F1 2017: Mercedes launches its W08 for Hamilton and Bottas
Next article Mercedes F1 team to revise rules of engagement between drivers

Top Comments

Latest news