Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Why Nurburgring 24 Hours agony may motivate Verstappen to return

Endurance
Why Nurburgring 24 Hours agony may motivate Verstappen to return

Final Catalan GP results as five riders penalised and Mir loses MotoGP podium

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Final Catalan GP results as five riders penalised and Mir loses MotoGP podium

Acosta slams Catalan GP calls: “It’s awful we acted as if nothing happened”

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Acosta slams Catalan GP calls: “It’s awful we acted as if nothing happened”

DS Penske solid despite frustrating finish in Monaco E-Prix

Formula E
Monaco ePrix II
DS Penske solid despite frustrating finish in Monaco E-Prix

Formula E Monaco E-Prix: Rowland reignites title challenge with first win of 2025-26

Formula E
Monaco ePrix II
Formula E Monaco E-Prix: Rowland reignites title challenge with first win of 2025-26

MotoGP Catalan GP: Di Giannantonio wins chaotic Barcelona race

MotoGP
Catalan GP
MotoGP Catalan GP: Di Giannantonio wins chaotic Barcelona race

Nurburgring 24 Hours: Mercedes win despite late failure for Verstappen Racing

Endurance
Nurburgring 24 Hours: Mercedes win despite late failure for Verstappen Racing

How F1's ADUO system works

Feature
Formula 1
How F1's ADUO system works

McLaren Drivers Delighted with New Deal

Scot David Coulthard and Finn Kimi Raikkonen were delighted after it was announced that they would continue driving for the McLaren team in 2003.

Scot David Coulthard and Finn Kimi Raikkonen were delighted after it was announced that they would continue driving for the McLaren team in 2003.

"In the competitive environment of Formula One, I think it is an important factor for the team and the drivers to have continuity," said Coulthard, who has been with McLaren for seven seasons.

"Kimi and myself have been developing a good relationship during the 2002 season, and I look forward to the continuation of this next year."

The Scot, who finished runner-up in last year's Championship, wished a happy retirement to former teammate and two-time champion Mika Hakkinen, who confirmed on Friday he will not return to racing next season.

"The value the team places on stability is clear as my partnership with Mika was the longest driver pairing in Formula One, and I would like to wish my old teammate a happy retirement with his family," Coulthard said.

Raikkonen, who made his Formula One debut with the Sauber squad last season before moving to McLaren in 2002, was also glad to remain with the Woking-based team next year and said he was hoping to fight for the title in 2003.

"I'm pleased to be staying with McLaren as I have really enjoyed my first season with the team," said Raikkonen. "I have learnt a lot in these past couple of months, am very excited about the future, and believe David, the team and myself will be able to challenge for the World Championship next year.

"As a fellow Finn, I'm sure Mika will keep an eye on me and also the team's progress next year from home."

McLaren also confirmed that Austrian Alexander Wurz will be their test and reserve driver for the third consecutive season.

"I'm very happy to enter a long-term contract with McLaren as third driver," added Wurz. "I've grown into this role over the past two years and it's an integral and challenging position within the team."

Previous article Thankful Hakkinen Says Goodbye to Racing
Next article BRDC responds to by-pass story

Top Comments

Latest news