Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Why WRC 2027 car project is the “most difficult” Toyota has faced

Feature
WRC
Rally Japan
Why WRC 2027 car project is the “most difficult” Toyota has faced

What Sky's new F1 TV deal means for Apple

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
What Sky's new F1 TV deal means for Apple

What will F1's switch to a 60-40 power split bring? The drivers give their verdict

Formula 1
Canadian GP
What will F1's switch to a 60-40 power split bring? The drivers give their verdict

Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

Super Formula
Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

How McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Feature
Formula 1
How McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Marussia F1 pair Chilton and Bianchi resolve Canadian GP crash row

Marussia Formula 1 team-mates Jules Bianchi and Max Chilton have resolved to put the dispute over their Canadian Grand Prix collision behind them

The incident on lap one of the Montreal race earlier this month put both drivers out and caused extensive damage to Marussia's cars.

Chilton was blamed by stewards for causing the crash and handed a three-place grid penalty for this weekend's Austrian GP, but the Brit believes he was penalised for the outcome of the incident, rather than any particular driving indiscretion.

"I think that's why they gave me three places," Chilton said.

"I think I would have got 10 places if they thought 'Chilton's caused a big shunt here'.

"I think they realised it was a racing incident, but because I was the one who ran into him they gave me a penalty.

"It's frustrating but I just have to move on."

Chilton said he shook hands with his team-mate when the arrived at the Red Bull Ring on Thursday, and said they agreed to put the incident behind them.

"After the race your temper is up and it's not a good time to talk because you're always going to disagree," Chilton added.

"We had a few words but I spoke to him this morning, we shook hands and said let's just move on from it, because it wasn't meant to be like that, it was just a bad outcome."

Bianchi reckoned Chilton's penalty was "fair", but confirmed the two had agreed the matter was closed.

"It was a racing incident, but this time it was someone's fault," Bianchi said.

"The stewards decided to give him a penalty, and for me it is fair, so I think everyone will agree.

"We had different points of view in Montreal, but now we have spoken and everything is fine.

"These things can happen in racing, but now we are in Austria, so we will focus 100 per cent on that and do our best for the team."

Previous article Felipe Massa: Sergio Perez risks a Romain Grosjean reputation
Next article Thursday's press conference - Austrian GP

Top Comments

Latest news