Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

How much performance has each F1 team gained over 2026?

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
How much performance has each F1 team gained over 2026?

BTCC race winner Lloyd replaces Dorlin at Restart Racing

BTCC
Donington Park (Grand Prix Circuit)
BTCC race winner Lloyd replaces Dorlin at Restart Racing

Champion rally driver Fiorio dies aged 61

WRC
Champion rally driver Fiorio dies aged 61

Switch off or ramp up? How the smartest F1 drivers managed the summer break

Feature
Formula 1
Switch off or ramp up? How the smartest F1 drivers managed the summer break

Ford reveals new LMDh car on track at Paul Ricard

WEC
Ford reveals new LMDh car on track at Paul Ricard

Worm's Eye View is Polley's triple Formula Vee winning perspective at Silverstone

National
Worm's Eye View is Polley's triple Formula Vee winning perspective at Silverstone

Dickens defeats the Bentleys after intriguing Silverstone Allcomers tale

National
Dickens defeats the Bentleys after intriguing Silverstone Allcomers tale

The team orders debacle that made for a controversial Formula E title decider

Feature
Formula E
London ePrix II
The team orders debacle that made for a controversial Formula E title decider

Jordan Held Talks with Orange, Deutsche Post

Team boss Eddie Jordan admitted to the High Court on Thursday that he opened discussion with Orange and Deutsche Post over sponsorship deals worth at least $160 million (USD) even after he claims striking a deal with Vodafone, The Times newspaper reported today.

Team boss Eddie Jordan admitted to the High Court on Thursday that he opened discussion with Orange and Deutsche Post over sponsorship deals worth at least $160 million (USD) even after he claims striking a deal with Vodafone, The Times newspaper reported today.

Jordan on Thursday gave evidence for the first time in his £150 million (Pounds) claim against Vodafone, who he claims agreed to a three-year sponsorship deal before defecting to Ferrari.

The Times reported that Jordan admitted under cross-examination that he had hand-written a note outlining an Orange deal worth $165 million (USD) from 2003 to 2005. He also admitted to having preliminary talks with Deutsche Post.

The case hinges on whether a binding agreement was created in a telephone conversation between Jordan and David Haines, Vodafone's global branding director, on March 22, 2001, during which it is claimed that Haines said: "You've got the deal."

Jordan told the court that after the phone call, Haines had repeatedly assured him that he had the deal, and asked that the pact be kept confidential, The Times added.

Jordan is reported to have said he was "shocked" to get a letter from Vodafone saying the deal would still need board approval. "I called David Haines and he said not to worry, and that his decision had been made," the newspaper quoted Jordan as saying.

He added that talks with Orange, who at the time were title sponsors to the now defunct Arrows team, had stemmed from the company's interest in setting up concerts at Grands Prix. Jordan said that Orange had raised the possibility of title sponsorship for his team.

The Times said Charles Aldous, QC, for Vodafone, countered that Jordan's internal memo, handwritten in April, included a list of potential "inducements" to lure Orange from Arrows. Jordan said he had not immediately dismissed the approach from Orange so as not to arouse suspicion that his team had signed a deal with Vodafone.

Previous article Friday Free Practice - European GP
Next article Practice 1: Panis shocks with fastest time

Top Comments

Latest news