Jenson Button says McLaren-Honda F1 deal worth the wait

Jenson Button says it was worth the wait to re-sign for McLaren for the 2015 Formula 1 season

Jenson Button says McLaren-Honda F1 deal worth the wait

McLaren announced on Thursday that it would retain Button on a fresh two-year deal as it enters a new works F1 engine partnership with Honda.

The decision ended weeks of internal debate over whether Button or 2014 rookie team-mate Kevin Magnussen should partner ex-Ferrari racer Fernando Alonso at the Woking squad next year.

Button, 34, will now have the chance to contest his 16th straight season in Formula 1 and said the opportunity had been worth the protracted negotiations.

"It's been a long few weeks, but sometimes the best things in life are worth waiting for," Button said.

"I'm not one to shy away from new challenges in life and I think this is a really, really exciting challenge.

"To be involved with the new era of McLaren-Honda really does mean a lot to me.

"To race alongside this guy [Alonso] is a big challenge, but an exciting challenge that I'm very much looking forward to."

Button had tentatively explored options to continue racing outside of F1 in 2015 but told reporters gathered at McLaren's Technology Centre that his heart had always been in racing on with the team next year.

"I did reflect on life outside of Formula 1, and it's nowhere near as exciting as life in F1 from what I've seen," Button added.

"My heart has always been here - to race for McLaren, and to race with Honda.

"I've had some very special times racing with Honda.

"We've had some difficult times as well, but there is a lot we can do and achieve together.

"I'm very happy to be here right now."

Button said the combined experience he shared with Alonso would invaluable in helping Honda make progress with the challenge of F1's new V6 hybrid turbo engined formula.

"For me, in Formula 1 it's so important to have experience," Button said.

"We know each other pretty well, and with 500 GPs between us we're pretty experienced.

"We will play a major role in helping McLaren-Honda achieve great things in the future."

MAGNUSSEN STAYS POSITIVE

Magnussen admitted he was disappointed to lose his race seat, but the Dane remains confident of getting another chance in the future.

"Obviously I'm disappointed not to be a Honda racing driver - I want to race so of course I'm disappointed - but I'm still with a great team and I still have big opportunities in my Formula 1 career and beyond and I still have a lot of time ahead so I'm still very positive," he said.

"It is exciting going into this new partnership [and] even though it's as a third driver it's still a big challenge and a big opportunity.

"I see a lot of opportunity even though I've taken a step back."

shares
comments
McLaren F1 team keeps Jenson Button alongside Fernando Alonso
Previous article

McLaren F1 team keeps Jenson Button alongside Fernando Alonso

Next article

McLaren boss Ron Dennis: No apology for F1 line-up decision delay

McLaren boss Ron Dennis: No apology for F1 line-up decision delay
Load comments
The impressive attitude that earned Albon his second F1 chance Plus

The impressive attitude that earned Albon his second F1 chance

Dropped by Red Bull last season, Alexander Albon has fought back into a Formula 1 seat with Williams. ALEX KALINAUCKAS explains what Albon has done to earn the place soon to be vacated by the highly rated George Russell

How Formula E factors could negate Red Bull's Jeddah practice gap to Mercedes Plus

How Formula E factors could negate Red Bull's Jeddah practice gap to Mercedes

Mercedes led the way in practice for Formula 1’s first race in Jeddah, where Red Bull was off the pace on both single-lap and long runs. But, if Max Verstappen can reverse the results on Saturday, factors familiar in motorsport’s main electric single-seater category could be decisive in another close battle with Lewis Hamilton

Formula 1
Dec 3, 2021
Why Norris doesn’t expect Mr Nice Guy praise for much longer Plus

Why Norris doesn’t expect Mr Nice Guy praise for much longer

Earning praise from rivals has been a welcome sign that Lando Norris is becoming established among Formula 1's elite. But the McLaren driver is confident that his team's upward curve can put him in the mix to contend for titles in the future, when he's hoping the compliments will be replaced by being deemed an equal adversary

Formula 1
Dec 2, 2021
What Ferrari still needs to improve to return to F1 title contention Plus

What Ferrari still needs to improve to return to F1 title contention

After a disastrous 2020 in which it slumped to sixth in the F1 constructors' standings, Ferrari has rebounded strongly and is on course to finish third - despite regulations that forced it to carryover much of its forgettable SF1000 machine. Yet while it can be pleased with its improvement, there are still steps it must make if 2022 is to yield a return to winning ways

Formula 1
Dec 2, 2021
How F1 teams and personnel react in pressurised situations Plus

How F1 teams and personnel react in pressurised situations

OPINION: The pressure is firmly on Red Bull and Mercedes as Formula 1 2021 embarks on its final double-header. How the respective teams deal with that will be a crucial factor in deciding the outcome of the drivers' and constructors' championships, as Autosport's technical consultant and ex-McLaren F1 engineer explains

Formula 1
Dec 1, 2021
Why Ferrari is sure its long-term Leclerc investment will be vindicated Plus

Why Ferrari is sure its long-term Leclerc investment will be vindicated

Humble yet blisteringly quick, Charles Leclerc is the driver Ferrari sees as its next
 world champion, and a rightful heir to the greats of Ferrari’s past – even though, by the team’s own admission, he’s not the finished article yet. Here's why it is confident that the 24-year-old can be the man to end a drought stretching back to 2008

Formula 1
Nov 30, 2021
The downside to F1's show and tell proposal Plus

The downside to F1's show and tell proposal

Technology lies at the heart of the F1 story and it fascinates fans, which is why the commercial rights holder plans to compel teams to show more of their ‘secrets’. STUART CODLING fears this will encourage techno-quackery…

Formula 1
Nov 29, 2021
How getting sacked gave Mercedes F1’s tech wizard lasting benefits Plus

How getting sacked gave Mercedes F1’s tech wizard lasting benefits

He’s had a hand in world championship-winning Formula 1 cars for Benetton, Renault and Mercedes, and was also a cog in the Schumacher-Ferrari axis. Having recently ‘moved upstairs’ as Mercedes chief technical officer, James Allison tells STUART CODLING about his career path and why being axed by Benetton was one of the best things that ever happened to him

Formula 1
Nov 28, 2021