Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Why Nurburgring 24 Hours agony may motivate Verstappen to return

Endurance
Why Nurburgring 24 Hours agony may motivate Verstappen to return

Final Catalan GP results as five riders penalised and Mir loses MotoGP podium

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Final Catalan GP results as five riders penalised and Mir loses MotoGP podium

Acosta slams Catalan GP calls: “It’s awful we acted as if nothing happened”

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Acosta slams Catalan GP calls: “It’s awful we acted as if nothing happened”

DS Penske solid despite frustrating finish in Monaco E-Prix

Formula E
Monaco ePrix II
DS Penske solid despite frustrating finish in Monaco E-Prix

Formula E Monaco E-Prix: Rowland reignites title challenge with first win of 2025-26

Formula E
Monaco ePrix II
Formula E Monaco E-Prix: Rowland reignites title challenge with first win of 2025-26

MotoGP Catalan GP: Di Giannantonio wins chaotic Barcelona race

MotoGP
Catalan GP
MotoGP Catalan GP: Di Giannantonio wins chaotic Barcelona race

Nurburgring 24 Hours: Mercedes win despite late failure for Verstappen Racing

Endurance
Nurburgring 24 Hours: Mercedes win despite late failure for Verstappen Racing

How F1's ADUO system works

Feature
Formula 1
How F1's ADUO system works

Hulkenberg wants more from Sauber to get season back on track

Nico Hulkenberg thinks Sauber still needs to push hard in bringing further updates to its car before it is able to feel its season is back on track

The German and team-mate Esteban Gutierrez have struggled with rear end stability this season, with Sauber's Melbourne package having not delivered the step forward it had hoped.

The Sauber C32 was fitted with a new rear wing and further aerodynamic tweaks for China. And although the team believes the changes have produced a step forward, Hulkenberg thinks Sauber is not in the position it wants to be just yet.

When asked by AUTOSPORT if more was needed, Hulkenberg said: "Yes. Before we really are able to fight in Q3 and the top 10.

"I think there is more potential for us still in there. It is early days in the season but we still need to move quickly and make changes to push that forward because we can make some big gains with that."

Hulkenberg thinks that Sauber cannot yet seriously target the kind of form it was able to produce last year, but he thinks the outfit is moving forward.

"I think the updates are a step forward, and definitely we benefit from it and we gain from it," he said. "But how much of that I am not quite sure.

"My option run [on Friday] was compromised by traffic, with two Mercedes in five corners in a row, but the gaps to the front look quite big.

"The Mercedes seem to be in a different world and [Felipe] Massa had some quick times there at the front, which we cannot fight for at the moment.

"We have made a step forward. But how big it is, I am not sure right now."

AUTOSPORT Chinese GP coverage:

FP1 FP2 FP3 Qualifying Race Gallery Live commentary Official quotes

Previous article The problems Formula 1 can't ignore
Next article Chinese GP: Alonso keeps Ferrari on top in FP3

Top Comments

Latest news