Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Why Norris was “surprised” to claim Dutch GP pole position

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Norris was “surprised” to claim Dutch GP pole position

Wolff jokes that Mercedes already has Verstappen for the "real hero races"

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Wolff jokes that Mercedes already has Verstappen for the "real hero races"

Supercars Ipswich: Feeney takes second win to secure unlikely Sprint Cup title

Supercars
Ipswich Super 440
Supercars Ipswich: Feeney takes second win to secure unlikely Sprint Cup title

What we learned from the 2026 F1 Dutch GP sprint race and qualifying

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
What we learned from the 2026 F1 Dutch GP sprint race and qualifying

Verstappen suffering from "flu-like" illness as Zandvoort exposes Red Bull's fundamental problems

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Verstappen suffering from "flu-like" illness as Zandvoort exposes Red Bull's fundamental problems

Why Verstappen's 2026 Mercedes contact was very different from last year's

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Verstappen's 2026 Mercedes contact was very different from last year's

F1 Dutch GP: Norris pips Russell to grab pole

Formula 1
Dutch GP
F1 Dutch GP: Norris pips Russell to grab pole

BTCC Donington Park: Morgan leads dominant 1-2 for Plato’s old team

BTCC
Donington Park (Grand Prix Circuit)
BTCC Donington Park: Morgan leads dominant 1-2 for Plato’s old team

Horner confident no repeat of last year

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner says he is confident there will be no repeat of the contact his drivers Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber made in last year's grand prix, in spite of the duo locking out the front row for tomorrow's race at Istanbul Park

Vettel, who took pole for tomorrow's race by 0.4s, and Webber collided in last year's race while fighting for the lead, and the incident proved one of the catalysts for a highly tense rivalry between the pair during their battle for the 2010 title.

But Horner told the BBC that he believed both drivers had learned from the accident and added that he fully expected them to be able to race cleanly on Sunday should they find themselves fighting for the same position.

Asked what instructions he will give his drivers before the race, Horner replied: "Exactly the same as the other 18 races on the calendar, they know what happened last year, and they learned from that.

"The races, strategically are a bit different these days, especially with the KERS and the DRS, and they are here to get the best result for the team and I am sure they will do the best job they can," he added.

Horner also paid tribute to Vettel for achieving his fourth consecutive pole position of the season, particularly in light of his accident during Friday practice which effectively cost the German a day's running.

"Sebastian and Mark elected not to run the last set of options to take them in to the race tomorrow was quite a brave call," said Horner. "It was such a great performance especially how he had such a difficult day yesterday, to then come back with such a strong performance today was a great job."

Previous article Rosberg elated with Mercedes progress
Next article Webber relaxed about Vettel's pace

Top Comments