Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Why Norris was “surprised” to claim Dutch GP pole position

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Norris was “surprised” to claim Dutch GP pole position

Wolff jokes that Mercedes already has Verstappen for the "real hero races"

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Wolff jokes that Mercedes already has Verstappen for the "real hero races"

Supercars Ipswich: Feeney takes second win to secure unlikely Sprint Cup title

Supercars
Ipswich Super 440
Supercars Ipswich: Feeney takes second win to secure unlikely Sprint Cup title

What we learned from the 2026 F1 Dutch GP sprint race and qualifying

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
What we learned from the 2026 F1 Dutch GP sprint race and qualifying

Verstappen suffering from "flu-like" illness as Zandvoort exposes Red Bull's fundamental problems

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Verstappen suffering from "flu-like" illness as Zandvoort exposes Red Bull's fundamental problems

Why Verstappen's 2026 Mercedes contact was very different from last year's

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Verstappen's 2026 Mercedes contact was very different from last year's

F1 Dutch GP: Norris pips Russell to grab pole

Formula 1
Dutch GP
F1 Dutch GP: Norris pips Russell to grab pole

BTCC Donington Park: Morgan leads dominant 1-2 for Plato’s old team

BTCC
Donington Park (Grand Prix Circuit)
BTCC Donington Park: Morgan leads dominant 1-2 for Plato’s old team

Force India won't back down on Ocon Perez F1 team orders

Force India will not consider relaxing its approach to team orders until it has secured fourth place in the Formula 1 constructors' championship

Following a number of collisions between its drivers this year, Force India changed its policy of allowing Sergio Perez and Esteban Ocon to race each other, and in Sunday's Japanese Grand Prix it ordered them to hold position when they were together on track.

When asked by Autosport about what it will take for the drivers to be unleashed again, Force India COO Otmar Szafnauer said: "After fourth is secure we will sit down with everybody and see if they can actually race again."

Szafnauer said it is possible that the current use of team orders could come back into play at the start of 2018 too, if Perez and Ocon have not convinced the management about their ability to fight cleanly.

"The team always comes first," said Szafnauer. "If they can prove to us after this year that they can sensibly race together, then I am sure we will consider that.

"[Nico] Hulkenberg and Checo sensibly raced together and they didn't crash into each other.

"If we had that scenario again then there is no reason to always have team orders."

Szafnauer suggested the way the drivers accepted the team orders in Japan suggests they have well understood the mistakes they have made in the past.

"They are both smart guys and hopefully the lessons will be learned very quickly and I think they have," he said.

"Our philosophy here is always to maximise the team potential, and we have to do what it takes.

"Usually, letting them race and go as fast as they can maximises the team potential.

"But when they start crashing into each other a lot then it doesn't maximise the team potential, so we have to do something different in order to maximise the team potential.

"That is exactly what we have done. When we are happy to let them race, and we believe letting them race is better than holding them back, then that is when we will do it. But we are not there yet."

Previous article Ferrari's recent F1 engine problems 'weird' - Kimi Raikkonen
Next article The mounting woe that's killed Vettel's title hopes

Top Comments

Latest news