Force India F1 team outlines code of conduct for Ocon and Perez

The Force India Formula 1 team has outlined its new code of conduct for drivers Esteban Ocon and Sergio Perez following their Belgian Grand Prix collisions

Force India F1 team outlines code of conduct for Ocon and Perez

The Spa incident prompted an immediate ban on the pair racing each other, with the team also threatening suspensions in the event of further clashes.

Team principal Vijay Mallya and his deputy Bob Fernley were not at Spa, but have made their thoughts clear to both drivers.

GARY ANDERSON: How idiotic drivers can destroy a team

Fernley said the main message was that they had to race each other "responsibly" from now on.

"There are a number of situations in a race that you can't control, for instance how do you control the start when there are cars going in all directions?" he told Autosport.

"So the answer is we want to encourage them to race, but we want them to do it responsibly.

"And that is where the focus is within the team, and the team can monitor that from the pitwall."

He said the pair had to bear in mind their own reputations in the paddock as well as the need to protect Force India's fourth place in the constructors' championship.

"You've got to accept that we've got two great and very talented drivers, and both of them are obviously very focused and very determined," Fernley said.

"We don't want to in any way dilute that. The chats that we've had haven't worked, they've obviously had to be a little bit stronger.

"Vijay has intervened a bit over the last week, and I think it's behind us now.

"From a team point of view we've got to make sure fourth place is secured, it's very important.

"And from their point of view they need to make sure they keep their reputations intact, because there's a future for them beyond Force India for both of them."

Asked why the post-Spa conversations would be more successful than the talks held after Ocon and Perez collided in Baku in June, Fernley replied: "I think what's changed is the realisation from the two drivers that it's not acceptable".

He played down the likelihood of Force India suspending either driver.

"Whatever we do from a team order point of view is obviously an internal matter, and wouldn't be shared," Fernley said.

"We'll deal with what we need to deal with as and when, but I don't think there will need to be anything as draconian as that."

Perez and Ocon said at Monza on Thursday that they had held constructive talks and were determined to put the incidents behind them.

shares
comments
Red Bull Formula 1 fuel supplier now targeting Singapore GP update
Previous article

Red Bull Formula 1 fuel supplier now targeting Singapore GP update

Next article

Williams driver Felipe Massa will move to Formula E after F1

Williams driver Felipe Massa will move to Formula E after F1
Load comments
The remarkable qualities that propelled Kubica’s F1 comeback Plus

The remarkable qualities that propelled Kubica’s F1 comeback

It’s easy to look at
 Robert Kubica’s second Formula 1 career and feel a sense of sadness that he didn’t reach the heights for which he seemed destined. But as BEN ANDERSON discovered, performance and results are almost meaningless in this context – something more fundamental and incredible happened…

The humbling changes Ricciardo made to deliver the goods for McLaren  Plus

The humbling changes Ricciardo made to deliver the goods for McLaren 

From being lapped by his own team-mate in Monaco to winning at Monza, it’s been a tumultuous first season at McLaren for Daniel Ricciardo. But, as he tells STUART CODLING, there’s more to the story of his turnaround than having a lovely summer holiday during Formula 1's summer break...

Formula 1
Nov 26, 2021
The potential benefits of losing the F1 constructors' title Plus

The potential benefits of losing the F1 constructors' title

As the battle continues to rage over the F1 2021 drivers' championship, teams up and down the grid are turning their attentions to the prize money attributed to each position in the constructors' standings. But F1's sliding scale rules governing windtunnel and CFD use will soften the blow for those who miss out on the top places

Formula 1
Nov 25, 2021
The invisible enemy that’s made Hamilton’s title charge tougher Plus

The invisible enemy that’s made Hamilton’s title charge tougher

After winning his past few Formula 1 titles at a canter, Lewis Hamilton currently trails Max Verstappen by eight points heading into the final double-header of 2021. Although Red Bull has been his biggest on-track challenge, Hamilton feels that he has just as much to grapple with away from the circuit

Formula 1
Nov 24, 2021
Why F1’s inconvenient penalties have to stay Plus

Why F1’s inconvenient penalties have to stay

OPINION: Quibbles over the length of time taken by Formula 1's stewards over decisions are entirely valid. But however inconvenient it is, there can be no questioning the importance of having clearly defined rules that everyone understands and can stick to. Recent events have shown that ambiguity could have big consequences

Formula 1
Nov 23, 2021
The mistakes Red Bull cannot afford to repeat in F1 2021’s title fight climax Plus

The mistakes Red Bull cannot afford to repeat in F1 2021’s title fight climax

OPINION: Red Bull has had Formula 1’s fastest package for most of 2021, but in several of the title run-in events it has wasted the RB16B’s potential. It cannot afford to do so again with Lewis Hamilton motoring back towards Max Verstappen in the drivers’ standings with two rounds remaining

Formula 1
Nov 23, 2021
Qatar Grand Prix Driver Ratings Plus

Qatar Grand Prix Driver Ratings

Qatar was a virtual unknown for most as Formula 1 made its inaugural visit to the Gulf state, and tyre management quickly emerged as an even more critical factor than normal. Perhaps then it should come as no surprise that two of the championship's elder statesmen produced standout drives

Formula 1
Nov 22, 2021
How Hamilton dominated in Qatar despite missing a key Mercedes advantage Plus

How Hamilton dominated in Qatar despite missing a key Mercedes advantage

There was simply no stopping Lewis Hamilton on Formula 1's first visit to Qatar. The Mercedes driver eased to pole position and led every lap to secure an utterly dominant victory - even without a key Mercedes weapon in his arsenal to increase the heat on Red Bull heading into the final two races of the gripping 2021 title race

Formula 1
Nov 22, 2021