FIA fines and disqualifies US F1

The FIA World Motor Sport Council has fined US F1 and banned the team from participating in any FIA championship as a punishment for its failure to appear in the 2010 Formula 1 season

FIA fines and disqualifies US F1

The American project was set to be one of the four new teams in this year's world championship, but admitted shortly before the season opener that it would not be ready in time.

A request to postpone its entry was denied by the FIA, which then announced it would consider whether to take punitive action against the Charlotte-based squad for breaking the terms of its entry by failing to race in the season opener.

In a hearing in Paris yesterday, US F1's representatives argued that its non-appearance had been a case of 'force majeure' due to the period of uncertainty over the new Concorde Agreement and the proposed budget cap rules during mid-2009. It also suggested that negative comments about its chances of making the grid by Bernie Ecclestone had deterred potential sponsors.

However the FIA rejected this suggestion.

"The WMSC considered US F1 had cooperated fully with the FIA in its investigation, and had been entirely open in answering the questions of the Reporter," said the FIA's report from the hearing.

"The WMSC however did not consider events of 'force majeure' were established in this case as there were no compelling supervening events but instead this was about a lack of funds.

"Nor did they accept statements from FOM [Formula One Management] had had any real material impact.

"Rather they considered that the team, whilst well-intentioned, had displayed poor financial management and had underestimated the requirement to present an F1 car for the 2010 season in the time and with the financial resources available to them.

"It was wholly unacceptable that the FIA was presented with only three weeks warning of the total non-appearance of the team at the Grand Prix in Bahrain and for the 2010 season, and WMSC members had real concerns about the impact on the championship, not least the deprivation of the opportunity for another team to have provided two cars to run in the championship in 2010 instead of US F1."

The FIA has fined US F1 309,000 euros, the equivalent of the championship entry fee and ordered it to pay the costs of the FIA disciplinary process, and disqualified the team, "which definitively deprives US F1 of the right to take part, in any way whatsoever, in any competition."

The remaining assets of US F1 were recently sold off at auction.

shares
comments
Webber hopes not to regret car issues

Previous article

Webber hopes not to regret car issues

Next article

Drivers unimpressed by rear wing plan

Drivers unimpressed by rear wing plan
Load comments
How Ferrari offered Britain's next F1 prospect what Red Bull couldn't Plus

How Ferrari offered Britain's next F1 prospect what Red Bull couldn't

Last year's Formula 2 runner-up Callum Ilott could be on his way to becoming the first Briton to contest a grand prix in an Alfa Romeo since Reg Parnell in 1950. But, says OLEG KARPOV, the Ferrari Driver Academy protege is having to temper his ambition at the moment – outwardly at least…

The signs that point to F1's rude health Plus

The signs that point to F1's rude health

OPINION: Formula 1's calendar might still be facing disruption as the pandemic affects travel but, says MARK GALLAGHER, the business itself is fundamentally strong thanks to the epic rivalry taking place on track and the consistent arrival of new sponsors

Formula 1
Jul 24, 2021
The unexpected benefit of F1’s sprint race repeat Plus

The unexpected benefit of F1’s sprint race repeat

OPINION: Formula 1's sprint race trial at Silverstone drew mixed feedback on Saturday, but there remained the true test of how it would impact Sunday's Grand Prix. While fans were busy marvelling at Fernando Alonso's progress, a key lesson was being learned that would directly contribute to the dramatic lap one clash at Copse the following day

Formula 1
Jul 22, 2021
The off-track considerations that led to F1’s Hamilton/Verstappen Silverstone shunt Plus

The off-track considerations that led to F1’s Hamilton/Verstappen Silverstone shunt

OPINION: Formula 1’s 2021 title fight turned ugly last weekend when Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton collided at the start of the British Grand Prix. Verstappen thankfully walked away unharmed, but this had been a clash long-since coming

Formula 1
Jul 21, 2021
Will 2022's all-new cars look like F1's concept model? Plus

Will 2022's all-new cars look like F1's concept model?

Formula 1 provided its clearest example yet of what the 2022 cars are set to look like when it presented a full-scale concept to the world during the build-up to last weekend’s British Grand Prix. Underneath the special shiny livery was a design that hinted at the future, but teams will be digging into key areas that may reap differing results

Formula 1
Jul 20, 2021
British Grand Prix Driver Ratings Plus

British Grand Prix Driver Ratings

The 2021 British Grand Prix will live long in the memory for the dramatic clash between Formula 1's two title protagonists, which opened the door for other drivers to capitalise. One did so in spectacular fashion, while others fluffed their lines

Formula 1
Jul 19, 2021
How Leclerc almost defied Hamilton after F1 title rivals’ Silverstone clash Plus

How Leclerc almost defied Hamilton after F1 title rivals’ Silverstone clash

A poor start for Valtteri Bottas and the lap one clash between Formula 1's 2021 title protagonists gave Charles Leclerc a surprise lead in the British Grand Prix that he almost held to the end. Here's how the Ferrari driver came close to a famous victory, ultimately denied by a recovering Lewis Hamilton three laps from home

Formula 1
Jul 19, 2021
The signs that suggest Mercedes can win the Silverstone F1 race Plus

The signs that suggest Mercedes can win the Silverstone F1 race

Red Bull and Max Verstappen scored an early blow against Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes at Silverstone, with sprint qualifying race victory. But that doesn’t mean Sunday’s grand prix is a foregone conclusion. Although Verstappen starts as the favourite, here’s why Mercedes still holds hope of winning

Formula 1
Jul 18, 2021