Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - qualifying kicks off in Montreal

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - qualifying kicks off in Montreal

Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

Mercedes boss defends Antonelli's fury following clash with Russell

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Mercedes boss defends Antonelli's fury following clash with Russell

Antonelli wants Mercedes "clarity" over Russell defence in Canada F1 sprint

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Antonelli wants Mercedes "clarity" over Russell defence in Canada F1 sprint

F1 Canadian GP: Russell wins sprint after Antonelli clash

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell wins sprint after Antonelli clash

BTCC Snetterton: Rainford victorious in qualifying race, Sutton fails to finish after puncture

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Rainford victorious in qualifying race, Sutton fails to finish after puncture

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell wins sprint after clash with Antonelli

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell wins sprint after clash with Antonelli

Ferrari Refuse to Allow Minardi to Race Old Car

Minardi may not be permitted to compete in Sunday's Australian Grand Prix after Ferrari boss Jean Todt refused to agree to a request by the team to compete in the opening three races in a 2004-model car.

Minardi may not be permitted to compete in Sunday's Australian Grand Prix after Ferrari boss Jean Todt refused to agree to a request by the team to compete in the opening three races in a 2004-model car.

Speaking exclusively to Atlas F1 at the Albert Park circuit, Minardi boss Paul Stoddart said: "As of now, Wednesday afternoon, the situation is that Minardi will not be competing in Sunday's race because (Jean) Todt has refused to agree to our request.

"I spoke to him at 3.00am, and he said he won't agree to it, stating that it is an FIA matter. But it's not, and he knows that. The FIA needs to satisfy themselves that cars are safe, and the nine teams need to agree that we can compete outside the technical regulations. They are totally separate issues with separate procedures."

A FIA spokesman agreed this was the situation.

"Two things are required: 1) all cars have to be scrutineered and passed for compliance by the FIA, and 2) all competitors need to agree to allow cars not complying with the technical regulations take the start. The sequence is unimportant subject to both points being complied with before the cars go out on the track," he said.

Minardi, whose engine supplier Cosworth was sold to a private consortium by Ford in November last year, recommitted themselves too late for Minardi to ready their 2005 car before the San Marino round in April according to Stoddart.

"We received notice that Ford was withdrawing from Formula One and putting its operations up for sale in September last year, and so we put off building our new car," explained Stoddart. "As a small team we can't afford the risk of investing money unless we are sure of our situation.

"Because of Cosworth and regulations which were signed off late, we cannot be ready before Imola. The lead time on our bellhousings alone is 16 weeks. That's four months."

Stoddart maintains that all teams bar Ferrari have agreed to Minardi's request.

"That is eight teams for and one against. I personally can't think of a bigger PR disaster than banning the underdog from what is effectively our home race," said Melbourne-born Stoddart. "He (Todt) told me he will not be in Melbourne until Friday morning, and that he is not interested in our problem.

"He won't delegate the matter either. The sad thing is that this is not a sporting matter, but a political one."

Stoddart is spokesman for a cost cutting initiative formulated by nine teams during the Brazilian Grand Prix in October last year. Ferrari are the odd team out. The Italian team are alone in having signed an extension of the Concorde Agreement, the document which governs the sport, and receives preferential financial terms from Formula One's commercial rights holder.

Stoddart has taken legal advice, but ruled out court action in Australia.

"Our advice indicates that we have a case, but it would mean disrupting the tenth anniversary of the Grand Prix I love above all others. I refuse to do that. But I am not ruling out later legal action."

Previous article Ferrari says no to Minardi
Next article Interview: Confident Montoya Ready for McLaren Debut

Top Comments

Latest news