Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Feature
Formula 1
Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Alex Marquez to miss next two MotoGP rounds after Barcelona crash

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
Alex Marquez to miss next two MotoGP rounds after Barcelona crash

How Hamilton switched to a "different approach" for F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How Hamilton switched to a "different approach" for F1 Canadian GP

Where you can find the best battles of F1 2026

Feature
Formula 1
Where you can find the best battles of F1 2026

Red Bull outlines timeline for new F1 wind tunnel

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull outlines timeline for new F1 wind tunnel

Monster to become Aprilia's title sponsor in MotoGP from Italian GP

MotoGP
Monster to become Aprilia's title sponsor in MotoGP from Italian GP

Why quirky Montreal will remain F1's true North American gem

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why quirky Montreal will remain F1's true North American gem

Fernando Alonso considered quitting F1 for triple crown in 2017

McLaren driver Fernando Alonso considered quitting Formula 1 at the end of 2017 to pursue his dream of winning motorsport's unofficial triple crown

In an exclusive interview for the latest issue of F1 Racing magazine, on sale on Thursday, Alonso reveals he thought about ending his grand prix career to try to add Indianapolis 500 and Le Mans 24 Hours victories to his two Monaco GP wins.

Alonso contested the Indy 500 last year and will combine his 2018 F1 programme with a Toyota World Endurance Championship campaign that will include his Le Mans debut.

"Yes, I did think about the possibility of changing series and stopping Formula 1," he told F1 Racing.

"After I did the Indy 500 last year, when I came back there were a couple of races in Austria, Silverstone, when I thought, 'Maybe next year I could try a different series; I could do full commitment to the triple crown and do Indy and Le Mans and maybe that's the best thing'.

"But I felt it was not the time for me to step out - not right now, not after these results, not with this feeling," he said.

"I knew I would regret it for the rest of my life and that I would have this bad taste for the rest of my racing career.

"So definitely I still want to succeed. There is unfinished business for me and McLaren together.

"And I think this year is the time all these things will change. I feel pretty sure about that."

Alonso skipped the Monaco GP to race at Indy last year as McLaren sought to keep its star driver motivated during a dismal third season with Honda engines.

McLaren has now switched to Renault power for 2018, and Alonso hopes he can move away from racing "with no hope".

He described "a bad year for McLaren is third or fourth in the constructors' championship, never ninth" - where McLaren finished in 2015 and '17.

Asked if he hoped the coming season would be a "normal" one, Alonso replied: "Yes - back to normality, back to this normal feeling of getting to every grand prix and preparing through practice and qualifying and knowing that you should be in the top five - and if you do well you could be on the podium.

"And if you do something really special, you could even be a winner.

"That motivation and that preparation have been the things I've missed.

"But these are things that I hope to have this year. That's the biggest expectation."

Previous article Formula 1 teams' first tyre choices of 2018 revealed by Pirelli
Next article McLaren F1 stars' final Honda hurrah

Top Comments

Latest news