Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Feature
Formula 1
Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Alex Marquez to miss next two MotoGP rounds after Barcelona crash

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
Alex Marquez to miss next two MotoGP rounds after Barcelona crash

How Hamilton switched to a "different approach" for F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How Hamilton switched to a "different approach" for F1 Canadian GP

Where you can find the best battles of F1 2026

Feature
Formula 1
Where you can find the best battles of F1 2026

F1 News: Wolff explains why Mercedes blocked reversed-grid race "gimmick"

Mercedes Formula 1 boss Toto Wolff has explained the reasons why his team blocked a move to trial reversed-grid qualifying races this year - insisting the series doesn't need "gimmicks"

F1 team principals discussed the idea last week of running reversed-grid qualifying sprints at the second of double-header events this year as a way of making the repeat races more exciting.

But, despite a majority of teams being in favour of the move, Mercedes stood out and was not willing to accept the plan.

With F1 needing unanimous support to get the rules changed, momentum behind the plan has fallen away and the standard format will be used for the entire season.

Speaking to selected media on Wednesday during a video teleconference call, Wolff made clear that there were three clear reasons why Mercedes was not willing to accept the reversed-grid experiment.

PLUS: Why the reversed-grid proposal won't go away

"It seems to be a common pattern in Formula 1 that we're digging out old ideas that have been analysed previously and rejected," he said.

"Then somebody thinks it's great and it's back on the agenda.

"So you need to look at the reasons why we were against it, and there's three fundamental reasons.

"First, I believe that F1 is a meritocracy - best man in best machine wins.

"We don't need a gimmick to turn the field around to create more exciting racing.

"Number two, I know it from touring car racing, that strategies become a very useful tool when one race result is basically making the grid for the next one.

"Just imagine one of the drivers not running well on the Sunday race of the first Spielberg weekend, and you decide to DNF the car - that will be the car that starts from pole for the quali race.

"And if that car starting on pole on the quali race is within midfielders, he will certainly be on pole for Sunday and win the race.

"There will be cars in the middle that will defend and block as much as they can.

"Therefore, for the quick cars coming from behind, it will mean more risk for a DNF and that could influence the championship.

"And then [third], from a pure performance standpoint, whoever the fastest car may be, and it's not necessarily us, will be penalised [compared to the] second and third quickest teams, because they will simply start in front.

"As we know, the margins are often not very large, so therefore it's a bit of an opportunistic move to give some teams an advantage."

While Red Bull team boss Christian Horner said it would be disappointing if F1 did not use the opportunity of the shaken up calendar to trial format experiments, Wolff is clear that even fans did not seem to want reversed grids.

"We said this is not the time to experiment with things that interestingly, didn't even have the support of Formula 1's fan community," Wolff said.

"In a survey only 15% expressed an interest in reversed grids."

Previous article F1 News: F1 will still look at new format ideas after reversed-grids snub
Next article How Sauber twice saved itself from the brink of extinction

Top Comments

Latest news