Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell stops on track, handing Antonelli lead

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell stops on track, handing Antonelli lead

Russell suffers dramatic exit from F1 Canada GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Russell suffers dramatic exit from F1 Canada GP

Rosenqvist wins 2026 Indy 500 in closest-ever finish

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Rosenqvist wins 2026 Indy 500 in closest-ever finish

BTCC Snetterton: Shedden sees off Sutton for race three win, Ingram charges to third

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Shedden sees off Sutton for race three win, Ingram charges to third

McLaren: Pirelli F1 tests will help Ferrari, Red Bull for rainy Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
McLaren: Pirelli F1 tests will help Ferrari, Red Bull for rainy Canadian GP

BTCC Snetterton: Sensational Sutton strikes from 10th to win, disaster for Ingram

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Sensational Sutton strikes from 10th to win, disaster for Ingram

DTM Zandvoort: Van der Linde grabs victory for BMW as Dorr takes maiden podium

DTM
Zandvoort
DTM Zandvoort: Van der Linde grabs victory for BMW as Dorr takes maiden podium

Why wet Canadian GP will be "the perfect storm" for F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why wet Canadian GP will be "the perfect storm" for F1

F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone trusts Bahrain Grand Prix will be safe

Bernie Ecclestone is convinced that the Bahrain organisers would not take any risks if there was the possibility of serious trouble at this year's race

Amid ongoing speculation about the future of the event, with reports over the past few days suggesting that threats have been made against it, Ecclestone said on Saturday that he had faith the Bahrain organisers would cancel the race if there was proper danger.

Speaking to The Daily Telegraph, Ecclestone appeared unconcerned about the possibility of a terrorist attack.

"That's a danger," Ecclestone said. "Nothing you can do about that. It could happen anytime, anywhere.

"There are always people threatening. I don't believe the [organisers] would take a risk if they thought there was a risk. Let's see."

Ecclestone believes protesters would actually be better off trying to delay the race than do anything violent.

"They [the protesters] don't need to resort to violence," he explained. "All they need to do is stand on the road on the way to the circuit, with placards, and they would get their message out there. Nobody's going to shoot them."

He added: "If I was the organiser, I would wait until 4pm or whenever the race starts, blocking the road, a few thousand of them, and then go home. And if they successfully delay the race then they would get more coverage than they could dream of."

A protest group called the Coalition of the Young of 14 Feb Revolution wrote to Ecclestone last month threatening to disrupt the Bahrain Grand Prix.

"We in the Coalition of the Youth of 14 Feb Revolution address you this letter to say clearly we do not accept the distortion of this popular sport for the sake of obliging a failing dictatorship," it wrote.

"We demand you reverse your decision and call off the F1 race in Bahrain, else wise we will have no choice but to do everything in our capacity to ensure the failure of the race rather than see it stained with blood and shame."

Previous article Lewis Hamilton quickest in final practice for the Australian Grand Prix
Next article Lewis Hamilton leads all-McLaren front row at the Australian Grand Prix

Top Comments