Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Feature
Formula 1
Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Ecclestone says chicanes are unnecessary

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone says chicanes are 'silly and unnecessary', following the opening lap accident that claimed the life of a marshal in last Sunday's Italian Grand Prix

The marshal, 30-year-old Paolo Ghislimberti, was struck by a flying wheel and died from head injuries following a multiple collision under braking for Monza's Variante della Roggia chicane involving the Jordans of Heinz-Harald Frentzen and Jarno Trulli, Rubens Barrichello's Ferrari and David Coulthard's McLaren. Pedro de la Rosa's Arrows was also involved after a second collision lower down the field.

As the performance of F1 cars continues to spiral, chicanes have been a relatively simple way of reducing speeds, but Ecclestone says that they do more harm than good. F1 cars brake from 205mph down to 70mph in just 100m for the Variante della Roggia, and from 210mph to 50mph at the preceding Rettifilio chicane. The bunching of the field under heavy braking combined with the funnelling effect as it enters the chicanes means that first lap accidents are almost inevitable at a track like Monza.

Talking to British journalists, Ecclestone said he wants chicanes removed from every Formula 1 circuit and replaced with single corners that would still slow the cars, but without funnelling and bunching them.

"Chicanes are old hat. They are silly and unnecessary," he said. "One very slow corner, rather than two making up a chicane seems a better idea. We have got rid of them at many circuits and now I would get rid of the rest of them if I had my way.

"I don't think chicanes have a place in F1 these days," he added. "They have been artificially put in on very fast straights to slow cars. That's fine, as it is much easier for a driver to kill himself at 200mph than at 100mph, but we must not have situations where we create accidents."

Ecclestone has also questioned the effectiveness of gravel traps. Last year, Michael Schumacher broke a leg after spearing off the track at Silverstone's Stowe corner and hitting a tyre barrier. Although the gravel trap slowed Schumacher's Ferrari from 110mph to approximately 70mph, Ecclestone believes a more effective solution should be used.

Work on abrasive surface which scrubs off speed while allowing a driver still to steer has been completed and Ecclestone wants to see it installed at circuits in place of gravel traps.

Previous article Testing Changes for 2001
Next article F1 testing: Panis quickest at Mugello

Top Comments