Ecclestone: New system certain for 2010

Bernie Ecclestone remains adamant that the 'winner takes all' championship system will be introduced in 2010, despite the change having seemingly been abandoned for this season

Ecclestone: New system certain for 2010

Last Tuesday the FIA World Motor Sport Council voted in favour of the proposal to give the title to the driver with most race victories, which had been advocated by Ecclestone's Formula One Management organisation.

But three days later the Formula One Teams' Association issued a statement questioning the validity of the change on the grounds that any such move so close to the start of the championship must have their unanimous support. The FIA subsequently offered to defer the scoring switch.

Although this was taken as a sign that the scheme would not be implemented, Ecclestone insists it has only been postponed, and will just be put into the 2010 rules sufficiently early that the teams' consent would be unnecessary.

"It will be (introduced) next year," Ecclestone told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"It will be supported by the FIA and it will be in the regulations. So when people enter the championship, that's what the regulation will be."

He is convinced that the new system will improve Formula 1's spectacle.

"It's logic - you go to the athletics and you look at the 100 metres, you're not looking at the guy that's second, you're looking at the winner," said Ecclestone. "In most sports people are looking at winners.

"To make any changes when the entries have closed you have to get the unanimous agreement of all the people that have entered. It would appear that some of the teams don't like the idea.

"The whole idea was nothing to do with winning the world championship, the idea was to make sure people raced to win in every race, not to be second or third and collect points."

He added that he also had no doubts that the FIA's budget cap rule would go ahead in 2010 either.

"It is set at £30 million, it's not (a question) of if it's going to be - it is," he said.

Ecclestone reckons the cap will lead to an influx of new entrants.

"I'm hoping we can get 26 cars, that's how it used to be," he said. "I think one of the engine manufacturers has got four orders already. The thing that disturbs me a bit is that there will have to be pre-qualifying."

shares
comments
Hamilton confident McLaren can recover
Previous article

Hamilton confident McLaren can recover

Next article

Toyota targets podium in Australia

Toyota targets podium in Australia
How its faltering first turbo car advanced a Williams-Honda glory era Plus

How its faltering first turbo car advanced a Williams-Honda glory era

STUART CODLING charts the development of the Williams FW09, the ugly duckling that heralded the start of the title-winning Williams-Honda partnership

The Moss-Ferrari farce that current F1 drivers are thankfully spared Plus

The Moss-Ferrari farce that current F1 drivers are thankfully spared

Recent moves within the driver market have reminded MAURICE HAMILTON of a time when contracts weren’t worth the paper they weren’t written on…

Formula 1
Sep 24, 2022
Audi’s innovative first assault on grand prix racing Plus

Audi’s innovative first assault on grand prix racing

It has been a long time coming but Audi’s arrival in Formula 1 is finally on the horizon for 2026. But it won’t be its first foray into grand prix racing, as the German manufacturer giant has a history both long and enthralling

Formula 1
Sep 23, 2022
The seven factors powering Verstappen's 2022 F1 domination Plus

The seven factors powering Verstappen's 2022 F1 domination

After a tooth and nail and, at times, toxic Formula 1 world championship scrap last year, Max Verstappen's march to a second consecutive title has been the exact opposite. But has he really changed in 2022? Here's a dive into what factors have played a crucial role, both inside the Verstappen camp and elsewhere, in the Dutch driver's domination

Formula 1
Sep 23, 2022
Why Hamilton is still the man to keep driving Mercedes forward Plus

Why Hamilton is still the man to keep driving Mercedes forward

Lewis Hamilton’s words in a recent Vanity Fair interview define both his world-view and his approach to this season: one of perpetual struggle against adversity. As GP RACING explains, that’s what Lewis feeds off – and why, far from being down and nearly out, he’s using his unique skillset to spearhead Mercedes’ revival…

Formula 1
Sep 22, 2022
The time lag of ideas that offers intrigue over F1's future fight Plus

The time lag of ideas that offers intrigue over F1's future fight

The pecking order in 2022's Formula 1 season may look pretty static as the season draws to a close, but the unique nature of the cost cap means that preparation for next season takes precedence. New developments are being pushed back to 2023 - which could mask the technical development war ongoing...

Formula 1
Sep 22, 2022
How one retro event could prove an alluring prospect for Formula 1 stars Plus

How one retro event could prove an alluring prospect for Formula 1 stars

While Formula 1 drivers taking part in retro events can prove costly, as Charles Leclerc discovered at the Monaco Historic Grand Prix, the Goodwood Revival could prove an interesting experiment for today's stars. As the event's own Tourist Trophy race proves it means serious business, a race for current F1 drivers feels as though it’s in line with where the event is currently at

Goodwood Revival
Sep 21, 2022
The surprise biggest indicator of Ferrari's 2022 F1 points downfall Plus

The surprise biggest indicator of Ferrari's 2022 F1 points downfall

Looking back to the early races of 2022 and Ferrari’s challenge to Red Bull and Max Verstappen was going better than many expected. But it has lost so much ground a surprise rival can even pip Charles Leclerc to runner-up in the standings if given the chance

Formula 1
Sep 20, 2022