Coulthard Calls for Unbiased Investigation of Monza
David Coulthard called for Monza to be treated like other race circuits and not be given any special favours in the investigation to follow the tragic Italian Grand Prix on Sunday.
David Coulthard called for Monza to be treated like other race circuits and not be given any special favours in the investigation to follow the tragic Italian Grand Prix on Sunday.
Italian fire marshall Paolo Gislimberti, 30, was killed when he was struck, probably by a wheel, following a multiple collision on the opening lap of the race which was won by Michael Schumacher in a Ferrari.
As Italian magistrates asked for all six cars involved in the pile-up to be held in Italy overnight for investigation, Coulthard backed calls for Monza to be put on trial.
He said the famous old track should not be treated as a special case -- and that means the Monza circuit, 20 miles north of Milan, could be closed down or dropped by the Formula One calendar.
"Monza should not be treated as a special case," British driver Coulthard said. "The death of the marshall is a really big issue. I think the race should have been stopped -- not continued while he lay at the side of the track receiving emergency medical treatment.
"I think that given how many cars went out nobody would have lost anything if the race had been stopped and re-started."
He said also that he knew exactly where the marshall was standing because he had moved out of his own safety zone to stand away from the safety barriers.
"I knew where he was standing," he said. "He was on the edge of the corner on the right hand side by the barrier.
"I know at Monza they have kept up the Italian enthusiasm for motor sport, but it cannot be allowed to go on here this way just because it is Italy -- while people get fined for it in other countries.
"There has to be one rule for all, so I have to say that, in these circumstances, the marshall should have been standing further back behind the barrier and not in front of it or beside it as they often are.
"If you watch the video you will see that coming down to Parabolica some of the marshalls are standing outside the barrier."
Coulthard added that an invasion of the track by spectators at the end of the race was also wrong and would not be allowed to go unpunished in other countries.
"There should not be a track invasion if Ferrari wins because that also is dangerous," he said. "So there should be one rule for all."
Share Or Save This Story
Subscribe and access Autosport.com with your ad-blocker.
From Formula 1 to MotoGP we report straight from the paddock because we love our sport, just like you. In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. Still, we want to give you the opportunity to enjoy an ad-free and tracker-free website and to continue using your adblocker.
Top Comments