Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Feature
Formula 1
Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Brundle Fears for British GP Future

The British Grand Prix could disappear from the Formula One calendar as early as next year, according to British Racing Drivers' Club (BRDC) chairman Martin Brundle.

The British Grand Prix could disappear from the Formula One calendar as early as next year, according to British Racing Drivers' Club (BRDC) chairman Martin Brundle.

"I think you have to question the British Grand Prix after this year," the former Grand Prix driver and television commentator was quoted as saying in weekly Motorsport News published today. "There's no short-term answer that is apparent yet."

The BRDC own Silverstone circuit and lease the former World War Two airfield to Grand Prix rights holders Octagon Motorsports, owned by the U.S. advertising giant Interpublic, under a 15-year deal agreed in 2000. Interpublic are looking into selling poorly-performing Octagon, who run Brands Hatch and other British circuits, and uncertainty surrounds the Grand Prix rights.

Brundle said that with seven of the 10 teams based in Britain it would be "simply bizarre" if there was a Turkish Grand Prix and not a British Grand Prix, for example.

"Of course that could happen, and if it did it would happen for a long time," he said.

The Belgian Grand Prix has been dropped from this season's calendar due to a row over tobacco advertising while Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone says this year will also be Austria's last appearance. Bahrain and China are due to make their debuts instead in 2004, with Turkey likely to follow them in.

The first Formula One race was at Silverstone in 1950 but the facilities are no match for the latest tracks, mostly funded by government money, such as Sepang which hosted Sunday's Malaysian Grand Prix.

The BRDC is a not-for-profit organisation and said last week that it does not have the financial depth to operate an annual Formula One contract without government support under Ecclestone's current terms.

Previous article German team lodges Formula 1 entry
Next article Grapevine: Barrichello May Be Replaced for Brazilian GP

Top Comments

Latest news