Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

How will Verstappen re-adapt to F1 after Nurburgring adventure?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How will Verstappen re-adapt to F1 after Nurburgring adventure?

Top 10 F1 drivers of the 1960s

Feature
Formula 1
Top 10 F1 drivers of the 1960s

How GM tech accelerated Cadillac's F1 entry

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How GM tech accelerated Cadillac's F1 entry

MotoGP chief defends officiating of Catalan GP

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP chief defends officiating of Catalan GP

The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

Feature
Formula 1
The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

How Aprilia's Barcelona collapse showed the pressures of leading MotoGP's title race

Feature
MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
How Aprilia's Barcelona collapse showed the pressures of leading MotoGP's title race

Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

National
Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

British GP stewards take no further action over 'unsafe' Sainz car

The British Grand Prix Formula 1 stewards have decided that no further action is needed over Toro Rosso having entered Carlos Sainz Jr's car in an "unsafe condition"

Damage was found to a wheel tether on Sainz's car during scrutineering on Thursday.

The FIA summoned the team to explain itself and initially said Toro Rosso had refused to rectify the problem.

But on Friday morning, the stewards said they were satisfied that Toro Rosso had no intention to mislead the scrutineers and that the team had agreed to replace the damaged part.

The FIA therefore deemed no further action was warranted.

"The stewards having received a report from the technical delegate (document 5) indicating that, from initial scrutineering of car #55 (Scuderia Toro Rosso), it was found to have a damaged wheel tether tape," said an FIA statement.

"Having summoned (document 6), and heard from the relevant team, technical delegate and after receiving a statement from the manufacturer of the tether in question, the facts are:

"1. The car that was presented for initial scrutineering was not in compliance with the regulations because:

"a. The protection of the fibers should not be damaged, as it was in this particular case;

"b. There were signs of dust, which could be brake dust, which is not good for the fibers;

"c. And the fibers in question had signs of wear.

"2. The car therefore could not pass scrutineering until the relevant part had been replaced.

"3. The stewards are satisfied that there was no intention by the team to mislead the scrutineers.

"4. The relevant part has since been voluntarily replaced by the team and the car has passed scrutineering."

The stewards had also noted "the presence of knots" in the wheel tethers on Sainz's car on Thursday.

Friday's statement said "the Stewards were informed by the team and the relevant manufacturer that these were standard in tethers and have been duly tested for use and homologated with these knots present".

The FIA concluded that it would "review the manufacturing process associated with these tethers".

Previous article Williams F1 team splits updates between Massa/Stroll at British GP
Next article Bottas sets British GP practice pace as Vettel tries F1's shield

Top Comments

Latest news