Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Red Bull went against Verstappen's set-up feedback: “Sometimes they have to feel it”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull went against Verstappen's set-up feedback: “Sometimes they have to feel it”

What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Verstappen reignites quit threats amid doubts over 2027 F1 rule changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen reignites quit threats amid doubts over 2027 F1 rule changes

Update: Hamilton avoids Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Update: Hamilton avoids Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

Aguri to re-apply for 2006 F1 grid spot

Japan's planned Super Aguri Formula One team said on Friday they will re-apply for next year's championship after being left off the list of 2006 entrants

Formula One's ruling FIA excluded Super Aguri from its list of 10 teams for 2006 as they had failed to complete the required paperwork.

But team boss Aguri Suzuki said he planned to re-apply to join the grid for next season following a telephone call with FIA president Max Mosley.

"Our goal is still absolutely to have two cars on the grid for the start of next year," the ex-Formula One driver said in a statement.

"Based on talks with the FIA we have decided to begin the registration process again."

Aguri announced last month his team had applied to the FIA ahead of the November 15 deadline and would be powered by Honda engines.

Despite leaving Super Aguri off the FIA's list, Mosley told Suzuki he would welcome a Japanese team on the grid and invited him to re-apply.

However, even if accepted by the FIA, Super Aguri's participation in next year's championship would require the agreement of the other 10 teams.

"Mr. Mosley kindly said on the phone we could apply once more, even though the cut-off line has passed," Suzuki's business partner Fumito Akita told Reuters.

"Mr. Mosley said he would welcome a Japanese team but the other teams have to say okay. That could be a little difficult."

The last new entrant was Toyota in 2002 when there were 11 teams. There have been 10 teams since Arrows folded during that season.

Akita feared the Super Aguri team could face considerable resistance from potential rivals in the Formula One paddock.

"Going from 10 teams to 11 teams means less TV income for each team," he said. "Finishing places would also be at stake. I don't know what level we would be racing at but some teams wouldn't want to be finishing behind us."

Previous article TWG likely to reject CDG wing
Next article Q & A with Robert Kubica

Top Comments