Bahrain Grand Prix organisers have been given until May 1 to decide if they want their race to be put on again later this year.
Following the cancellation of this year's opening round of the Formula 1 season, there has been intense speculation about whether or not the event could be slotted in later this year.
The most likely scenario was for the Bahrain GP to be twinned with the nearby Abu Dhabi GP towards the end of the campaign - perhaps with the Brazilian season finale being moved.
The matter was discussed at Tuesday's FIA World Motor Sport Council meeting in Paris, but no decision was made on what will happen.
However, the FIA has given race organisers another seven weeks to inform them on whether it will be possible for the Bahrain GP to take place.
A statement issued by the governing body said: "The World Motor Sport Council asked the Bahrain Motor Federation to communicate by May 1st at the latest if the Bahrain Grand Prix can be organised in 2011."
Bahrain would need to guarantee that there was no chance of further political trouble in the Gulf state before it could put on the race - something which may not be possible in the short timeframe available.
F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has emphasised that the sport will do everything it can to fit Bahrain in if the political situation allows.
"I don't know how likely it is that there is going to be peace in Bahrain. But if there is, we will find a way," he told the BBC last week.
"The people there have been very big supporters of us, and are becoming bigger and bigger. We have much more support in Bahrain than we did when we first started there, and if they want the race we want to supply it for them."