Formula 1's ruling body will re-open the selection process for a potential 13th team to join the sport in 2011, the FIA said on Thursday.
The governing body has taken the decision after US F1, which had the 13th slot for the 2010 season, failed to be ready to compete in this year's championship.
The American team had requested that the FIA delayed its entry for next year.
However, the FIA has decided to re-open the selection process for the final slot, meaning there is likely to be a significant number of candidates hoping to race next season.
Lola, Epsilon Euskadi, Prodrive and N.Technology were among the teams to have applied for an entry for this year.
The governing body also said US F1 could face sanctions for its absence.
"With regard to the USF1 team's non-participation in the 2010 championship, the world council mandated the FIA president, in full compliance with the new code of practice for disciplinary matters, to take forward the most appropriate action," it said in a statement.
The FIA also confirmed that rookie Karun Chandhok had been granted his superlicence to competed with the HRT team at this weekend's Bahrain Grand Prix.