Felipe Massa led teammate Kimi Raikkonen in a Ferrari one-two in opening practice at the Hungaroring.
McLaren duo Heikki Kovalainen and Lewis Hamilton ended the quiet session in third and fourth places, with Fernando Alonso the best of the rest for Renault.
As usual at the famously dusty and rarely-used Hungaroring, a large amount of the session elapsed before anyone decided to attempt a flying lap, with Honda's Rubens Barrichello the first to set a time after 33 minutes.
Raikkonen then hit the front just after the session's halfway point, lapping in 1:22.032, which kept him on top until Kovalainen moved ahead just after the hour mark with a time a little under one tenth of a second quicker.
Massa was next to lead the way, sneaking ahead of Kovalainen by 0.005 seconds with a quarter of an hour to go, and he proceeded to dominate the final part of the session. Although Hamilton briefly usurped the Ferrari, the McLaren driver was only in front for a few seconds before Massa reclaimed the top spot.
The Brazilian then went faster still later in his run, producing a 1:20.981 lap to move himself half a second clear of the pack.
Teammate Raikkonen improved his time in the final moments and moved to second, but he remained 0.364 seconds slower than Massa.
Kovalainen ended up third, with Hamilton fourth after setting several fastest times in the first sector before losing ground further around the lap.
Behind fifth-placed Alonso, Timo Glock took an eye-catching sixth for Toyota, having been as high as second earlier in the session.
BMW's Robert Kubica and Nick Heidfeld claimed seventh and ninth, sandwiching Alonso's Renault teammate Nelsinho Piquet, with Jarno Trulli completing the top ten.
The session saw few incidents, aside from Trulli spinning his Toyota just after going momentarily fastest during the early running, and Sebastian Vettel parking his Toro Rosso with a mechanical problem after just four laps, leaving him at the bottom of the timing screens.
Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Massa Ferrari (B) 1:20.981 19
2. Raikkonen Ferrari (B) 1:21.345 + 0.364 21
3. Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:21.410 + 0.429 17
4. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:21.535 + 0.554 18
5. Alonso Renault (B) 1:21.802 + 0.821 18
6. Glock Toyota (B) 1:21.931 + 0.950 22
7. Kubica BMW Sauber (B) 1:22.267 + 1.286 18
8. Piquet Renault (B) 1:22.326 + 1.345 19
9. Heidfeld BMW Sauber (B) 1:22.370 + 1.389 22
10. Trulli Toyota (B) 1:22.457 + 1.476 25
11. Webber Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:22.654 + 1.673 23
12. Coulthard Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:22.700 + 1.719 16
13. Bourdais Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:22.900 + 1.919 26
14. Button Honda (B) 1:22.917 + 1.936 27
15. Barrichello Honda (B) 1:23.093 + 2.112 26
16. Rosberg Williams-Toyota (B) 1:23.147 + 2.166 21
17. Nakajima Williams-Toyota (B) 1:23.274 + 2.293 22
18. Sutil Force India-Ferrari (B) 1:23.353 + 2.372 25
19. Fisichella Force India-Ferrari (B) 1:23.459 + 2.478 28
20. Vettel Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:23.923 + 2.942 4
All Timing Unofficial
Autosport has produced a standalone special magazine to celebrate our 70th birthday. All current print subscribers will receive a copy for free. To order your copy of the 196-page Autosport 70th Anniversary issue, please go to: autosport.com/autosport70th