The French Motor Sports Federation, the FFSA, confirmed on Wednesday that they have made an application for France to host a round of the 2009 Formula One World Championship.
The FFSA has a contract to run the French Grand Prix until 2011, but there was doubt about its future after Bernie Ecclestone made it clear several times that he did not want F1 back at the Magny-Cours circuit.
The French body said on Wednesday, however, that the entry for next year's race had been confirmed.
The FFSA will meet tomorrow to ratify the decision and to decide on the future of the race from 2010.
"I've anticipated the decision of the FFSA General Assembly by confirming the entry of the French Grand Prix on the 2009 FIA Formula One World Championship calendar as of 28th June," said FFSA president Nicolas Deschaux.
"Of course, the General Assembly, which will meet tomorrow, Thursday, will have to confirm this decision, and also determine the future of the French Grand Prix from 2010 onwards."
The race is expected to take place again at Magny-Cours, whose bosses unveiled a redevelopment plan to upgrade the track's facilities in time for 2009.