Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

What we learned from the 2026 F1 Dutch GP sprint race and qualifying

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
What we learned from the 2026 F1 Dutch GP sprint race and qualifying

Verstappen suffering from "flu-like" illness as Zandvoort exposes Red Bull's fundamental problems

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Verstappen suffering from "flu-like" illness as Zandvoort exposes Red Bull's fundamental problems

Why Verstappen's 2026 Mercedes contact was very different from last year's

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Verstappen's 2026 Mercedes contact was very different from last year's

F1 Dutch GP: Norris pips Russell to grab pole

Formula 1
Dutch GP
F1 Dutch GP: Norris pips Russell to grab pole

BTCC Donington Park: Morgan leads dominant 1-2 for Plato’s old team

BTCC
Donington Park (Grand Prix Circuit)
BTCC Donington Park: Morgan leads dominant 1-2 for Plato’s old team

Why Williams problems are worse than previously known

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Williams problems are worse than previously known

BTCC Donington Park: Ingram leads practice from Doble

BTCC
Donington Park (Grand Prix Circuit)
BTCC Donington Park: Ingram leads practice from Doble

LIVE: F1 Dutch GP updates - Norris beats Russell to pole position

Formula 1
Dutch GP
LIVE: F1 Dutch GP updates - Norris beats Russell to pole position

Hulkenberg's Chinese GP retirement related to Renault MGU-K change

Nico Hulkenberg's retirement from Formula 1's Chinese Grand Prix was caused by an issue related to Renault's new specification MGU-K

Renault was forced to produce a new spec MGU-K after McLaren's Carlos Sainz Jr suffered a failure in the Australian GP.

The Spaniard had the new unit for Bahrain, but the works team stuck with the original version - only to suffer a costly double retirement when both Hulkenberg and his team-mate Daniel Ricciardo stopped in the closing laps of the race.

Both works drivers and McLaren's Lando Norris took revised units for China, and Renault believes the change triggered a software problem that forced Hulkenberg out of the race.

"It's too early to say exactly what happened," Renault F1 boss Cyril Abiteboul told Autosport.

"But we had the problem in Melbourne, and a very quick reaction in Bahrain for one part only for Carlos.

"We had to push massively on production in order to get more parts, which meant that we had to fast-track some of the process and some of the sign-off that we do.

"And basically something was triggered that we had not had the time to properly sign off.

"It's not an excuse, it's a fact.

"All of the other cars have worked without any problem using the same part.

"We've covered 5000kms on the dyno with that part. It's just for one particular reason we went into a mode which triggered something in the software."

Abiteboul said the glitch can be resolved without the need to rush through a third specification of MGU-K hardware before the next race in Baku.

"We think it's something that is outside of the part itself, we don't think that the part that Nico was using was damaged," he added.

"We think it's a software issue, we think we need to change something on the software to deal with something that was changed in the hardware.

"That's why we were hoping to try and fix it in the course of the race.

"Maybe it was not broadcast, but there were a number of actions that Nico was trying to do. He could not go as far as rebooting the whole car.

"That's almost what was necessary. If you want to drive the car now, you could, it's working absolutely fine!

"It's a typical software problem - you have a freeze, you need to reboot. It's pretty much what we were trying to do on track, but it didn't work."

Previous article Chinese GP recovery satisfies 'worst driver of Saturday' Albon
Next article Kvyat claims F1 stewards agreed Chinese GP penalty was too harsh

Top Comments

Latest news