Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

"Something needed to change" - What Cadillac F1 needs from its Marcin Budkowski era

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
"Something needed to change" - What Cadillac F1 needs from its Marcin Budkowski era

US billionaire Robert Wood Johnson acquires minor Aston Martin F1 stake

Formula 1
Dutch GP
US billionaire Robert Wood Johnson acquires minor Aston Martin F1 stake

Why the Dutch GP is ending despite F1 wanting Zandvoort to stay

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why the Dutch GP is ending despite F1 wanting Zandvoort to stay

TWG denies sale of Cadillac F1 team

Formula 1
Dutch GP
TWG denies sale of Cadillac F1 team

How the 2027 F1 grid is shaping up after Verstappen's Red Bull new deal

Formula 1
Dutch GP
How the 2027 F1 grid is shaping up after Verstappen's Red Bull new deal

Zarco set for Aragon MotoGP return after Barcelona accident

MotoGP
Aragon GP
Zarco set for Aragon MotoGP return after Barcelona accident

FIA to ban team collusion in Formula E from next season

Formula E
London ePrix II
FIA to ban team collusion in Formula E from next season

What Verstappen’s big deal means for his future, Red Bull and F1

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
What Verstappen’s big deal means for his future, Red Bull and F1

Danish F1 grand prix plan now needs Copenhagen track alternative

Denmark's push for a Formula 1 race now relies on an alternative to Copenhagen after the company promoting a grand prix in the capital was formally closed last month

The project, which spent several million in Danish kroner on research and planning, was led by former government minister Helge Sander.

It gained support from the likes of the country's industry minister Brian Mikkelsen, who had said it looked "more and more realistic", and Lars Seier Christensen, the founder of former Lotus F1 team backer Saxo Bank.

Meetings with F1 bosses were said to be positive but the project suffered a major blow earlier this year, in September, when the Copenhagen mayor wanted it shut down because the city was not willing to fund the race itself.

Foreningen til fremme af Formel 1 i København - The Society For The Promotion Of Formula 1 In Copenhagen - was deregistered as a company on November 19.

According to Danish news agency Ritzau and the national edition of The Local, Sander said there is still national interest in a grand prix but it would have to be somewhere else.

"The positive vibe around Formula 1 has naturally caused other municipalities to react," said Sander.

"If a sufficiently interesting project emerges elsewhere in Denmark, it should naturally be tried, provided the relevant practical, sustainable and economic conditions are fulfilled.

"We had to take in the shock of that announcement [from the mayor], but we have to accept that right now it is not possible to arrange a Formula 1 race in Copenhagen, even though I have received positive messages almost daily since the mayor's announcement."

A track layout, pictured above, that had input from current F1 driver Kevin Magnussen's father Jan and favoured F1 circuit designer Hermann Tilke targeted using some of the best landmarks in the centre of the city.

Speaking to Autosport's sister publication F1 Racing last year for a feature on the plans behind the event, Haas F1 driver Magnussen said a home race had never previously felt like a reality.

"No one in Denmark would ever have believed something like this could ever happen," he said in late-2017.

"It's not even as if we'd finally have got something we'd wished for, because no one has even been taking about it until recently."

Previous article Kimi Raikkonen's Ferrari exit sad for Formula 1 - Mercedes' Wolff
Next article Mercedes' Lauda: 'Absurd' to doubt Vettel after F1 title defeat

Top Comments