Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

"No nine to five cruise" - The challenge of assembling Cadillac's trackside F1 team from scratch

Formula 1
Dutch GP
"No nine to five cruise" - The challenge of assembling Cadillac's trackside F1 team from scratch

Christian Horner to headline 2026 ABX NYC

General
Christian Horner to headline 2026 ABX NYC

Top five roles on Motorsport Jobs this week

General
Top five roles on Motorsport Jobs this week

Lappi returns to Hyundai line-up for WRC Rally Chile

WRC
Rally Chile
Lappi returns to Hyundai line-up for WRC Rally Chile

Red Bull protege Kalousdian dominates Snetterton Ginetta Junior event

National
Red Bull protege Kalousdian dominates Snetterton Ginetta Junior event

Albon commits to Williams F1 team for 2027

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Albon commits to Williams F1 team for 2027

What an engineer with four decades of F1 experience would choose as the ideal engine rules

Feature
Formula 1
What an engineer with four decades of F1 experience would choose as the ideal engine rules

Did Formula E's London finale go too far with team orders and personal vendettas?

Formula E
London ePrix II
Did Formula E's London finale go too far with team orders and personal vendettas?

Hamilton and Bottas hint at further Mercedes engine upgrade delay

Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas have hinted at a further delay for Mercedes' new Formula 1 engine specification, with no confirmation of its French Grand Prix use yet

Mercedes had planned to introduce the new spec across all six of its cars in Canada, but the introduction was delayed after last minute reliability issues on the dyno.

Since then it has made modifications, and continued dyno running, with a final decision on its Paul Ricard use potentially being made last-minute.

One possible scenario is that Mercedes could gain a further day of dyno running by using its old engines on track on Friday, and then switch to the new spec for Saturday if its Brixworth engine base gives the go-ahead.

If not then Mercedes may have to deploy fresh examples of the old spec on Saturday, and those engines will in theory then have to do seven race weekends.

If the new spec is proven within the next few races then the 'fresh old' spec could then be saved and deployed at venues where power is less important.

Asked about the options, Hamilton replied: "At the moment, I don't know. I think I might have one of my new engines out of my three, which is good enough.

"The engine that we've used for the first seven races has been a great engine.

"A fresher, newer version of that is going to be great, and have more power than the [high mileage] one I raced in the last race, obviously. And so I personally am not concerned.

"Tomorrow or the next couple of days we might have a better understanding of where we stand with that."

Hamilton said he had been in constant contact with Mercedes engine chief Andy Cowell.

"Coming into this weekend, I've been on the phone to Andy this week, last week and into this week, and I have absolute full confidence in him and the guys," he said.

Bottas hinted that the engine decision could be taken after Friday practice.

"For sure we need to take some kind of new engine," he said. "This one is seven races old, and we are very much wanting to run the new one, but we need to confirm tomorrow if we can or not.

"Any gain we can get - including a new engine - will be very important if we want to win the title. We all hope we can get the new one. At the moment that is our plan but we just need to confirm.

"I trust that things are being improved since two weeks ago with the new engine. If we decide to run it, for sure we are confident to run it 100%."

Bottas conceded that having to stick with the older specification for seven races would be a blow.

"This is a big gain and we really need it," he said.

Previous article Ferrari ready to replace Raikkonen with Leclerc for 2019 F1 season
Next article Aston Martin: Red Bull's 2019 engine switch won't cause Honda clash

Top Comments

Latest news