Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Why WRC 2027 car project is the “most difficult” Toyota has faced

Feature
WRC
Rally Japan
Why WRC 2027 car project is the “most difficult” Toyota has faced

What Sky's new F1 TV deal means for Apple

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
What Sky's new F1 TV deal means for Apple

What will F1's switch to a 60-40 power split bring? The drivers give their verdict

Formula 1
Canadian GP
What will F1's switch to a 60-40 power split bring? The drivers give their verdict

Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Ferrari is down on power "even to Ford", says Leclerc

Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

Super Formula
Super Formula announces extra Fuji race as Autopolis replacement

How McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Feature
Formula 1
How McLaren’s early years set the team on the path to success

Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Alonso: “I am the best, I don't need to prove anything”

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Max Verstappen agrees deal to remain at Red Bull F1 team into 2020

Max Verstappen has extended his Formula 1 contract with Red Bull until the end of the 2020 season, the team has announced

Verstappen's current deal was due to expire at the end of the 2019 F1 season, so Friday's announcement ahead of practice for the US Grand Prix means he has extended his contract by one year.

Verstappen said: "Red Bull has always shown faith and belief in me with actions - inviting me in to the young driver programme as a 16-year-old, then giving me my start in Formula 1 when I was just 17, and then the opportunity to race with Red Bull, where I had such a dream start.

"They have always backed me and my ambition and I know we share that ambition. Their support, no matter what plays out on the race track, has always been 100%.

"We've also had some fun times! I'm very happy to commit further to Red Bull and I'm looking forward to working together to enjoy more success in the years to come."

Verstappen made his grand prix debut at the age of 17 with Toro Rosso in 2015, before graduating to Red Bull ahead of the 2016 Spanish Grand Prix, replacing Daniil Kvyat.

Verstappen won the Barcelona race, becoming the youngest ever winner in Formula 1.

"We are delighted that Max has agreed to extend his contract with Red Bull," said team boss Christian Horner.

"We had a phenomenal start together in Spain last year and Max has only pushed on from there.

"It was a great moment for the whole team to see him put the frustrations of this season behind him in taking that fantastic victory in Malaysia last month.

"He is pure racer, with an undeniable talent at the wheel and a rare instinct for what it takes to compete consistently at this level.

"Coupled with a committed work ethic and a mature approach to learning his craft that belies his years, Max is right to be hungry for success and we are looking forward to extending that journey with him in our hunt for Formula 1 world championships.

"As we now look to the long term with Max, he is in the best place to build a team around him to deliver our shared ambition."

Previous article Kimi Raikkonen: I don't care what critics think of my 2017 driving
Next article Renault trialling 2018 development parts for its F1 engine in US GP

Top Comments

Latest news