Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

"Something needed to change" - What Cadillac F1 needs from its Marcin Budkowski era

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
"Something needed to change" - What Cadillac F1 needs from its Marcin Budkowski era

US billionaire Robert Wood Johnson acquires minor Aston Martin F1 stake

Formula 1
Dutch GP
US billionaire Robert Wood Johnson acquires minor Aston Martin F1 stake

Why the Dutch GP is ending despite F1 wanting Zandvoort to stay

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why the Dutch GP is ending despite F1 wanting Zandvoort to stay

TWG denies sale of Cadillac F1 team

Formula 1
Dutch GP
TWG denies sale of Cadillac F1 team

How the 2027 F1 grid is shaping up after Verstappen's Red Bull new deal

Formula 1
Dutch GP
How the 2027 F1 grid is shaping up after Verstappen's Red Bull new deal

Zarco set for Aragon MotoGP return after Barcelona accident

MotoGP
Aragon GP
Zarco set for Aragon MotoGP return after Barcelona accident

FIA to ban team collusion in Formula E from next season

Formula E
London ePrix II
FIA to ban team collusion in Formula E from next season

What Verstappen’s big deal means for his future, Red Bull and F1

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
What Verstappen’s big deal means for his future, Red Bull and F1

F1 2017 is 'the way it should be', McLaren stand-in Button feels

Jenson Button says Formula 1 is now "the way it should be" thanks to 2017's new regulations, but he insists his career is over after his one-off outing in Monaco

Button replaced Fernando Alonso at McLaren to allow the Spaniard to compete in the Indianapolis 500, where he was a contender for victory on his IndyCar debut until his Honda engine failed in the closing stages.

The 2009 world champion, who had not driven the 2017 car before practice on Thursday, qualified ninth in Alonso's place, but was forced to start at the back of the grid due to an engine penalty.

His race then ended in a collision with Sauber's Pascal Wehrlein, for which he was given another grid penalty that he is unlikely to have to serve.

While Button is unsure he was able to take his car to the limit, the Briton said he had enjoyed the faster breed of car around Monte Carlo.

"All I know is that I went a lot faster than I did last year and it was a lot more fun as well," said Button.

"I must say that I was a little disappointed when I heard about the new regulations in terms of weight of the car going up, but this is the toughest circuit for a heavy car and it is very nimble around here.

"It's so much fun to drive, and Formula 1 has definitely moved in the right direction with the regulations.

"It's very exciting for the teams also to find big chunks of speed and lap time and downforce. That's the way F1 should be."

FINISHED WITH F1

Button made it clear he has no plans to do any more Formula 1 races after his Monaco outing, which he said was too hard to turn down.

"I was [done with F1] in November," he said. "But if any of you were asked to race in Monaco, you would, right?

"Saturday was a lot of fun. The race was a bit annoying, but it's my only race of the season.

"It's definitely not the plan for me to race again this year in Formula 1. In other categories possibly yes, but not in Formula 1.

"I've got my own things I'm enjoying away from the sport at the moment and I need to fully focus on them to achieve what I want to achieve."

Previous article Eric Broadley, Lola founder and F1 designer, dies aged 88
Next article Toro Rosso's Tost dismayed by Perez Monaco GP move on Kvyat

Top Comments

Latest news