Fernando Alonso has expressed frustration about a lack of praise from those who should be supporting him in Formula 1.
Earlier this week, Mercedes chairman Dieter Zetsche hailed Alonso as perhaps the top driver in F1.
He told Spanish media: "Alonso is probably the best driver on the Formula 1 grid. Fernando has always proven it - and in uncompetitive cars."
That admiration comes just a few weeks after Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff said Alonso was a 'monster' in races.
Speaking ahead of the Monaco Grand Prix about the latest comments from Mercedes, Alonso said he welcomed such talk, but said it was weird that others who should also be backing him did not do so.
"It's always welcome when people see your job in a good way, and respect what you try to achieve," he said.
"It's sometimes strange to see good comments and compliments from people from outside, and the opposite from people who are supposed to be close to you.
"It's motivating for me and good to see good comments, and funny when you see the opposite in your closest friends."
Although some have viewed Alonso's cryptic remarks as an attack on his own team, it is understood he was referring to criticisms he has faced in sections of the media about his performances at Ferrari.
DI MONTEZEMOLO ISSUES STATEMENT
Despite Alonso's comments not being aimed directly at Ferrari, the team opted to issue a statement on Thursday morning from its president Luca di Montezemolo in response.
In it, he reiterated his belief about Alonso's qualities.
"Fernando is the best driver in the world, who always gives 200 per cent in the races," di Montezemolo said.
"He knows how much I count on him, even away from the racetrack, in terms of his contribution and the impetus he gives to the team.
"I think it's incredible that there are still some so-called experts who don't understand that and are always looking for a polemical situation that simply doesn't exist."