Formula 1's inaugural race in New Jersey, originally scheduled for next year, has been postponed until 2014.
Following recent doubts about progress being made at the track ahead of its planned first event in June 2013, local officials have revealed that an official announcement is expected on Friday to say it is being put back.
According to a report in the Jersey Journal, Weehawken Mayor Richard Turner said that race organisers were behind in both preparations for the race and in obtaining the necessary permits.
F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone later confirmed to Eurosport that the event was being put off - which now leaves a vacant slot in the calendar.
"It is not going to happen next year," Ecclestone said. "If they came up with the contract with us and we were satisfied the question is could they carry out the work in six months? Winter in New York is not good."
The New Jersey event had been scheduled to take place on June 16, just a week after the Canadian Grand Prix.
However, in the most recent calendar published by the FIA, it was only added subject to confirmation.
Due to the flyaway nature of Montreal, it is unlikely that Ecclestone will slot in a replacement in the gap before the next race - which is the British GP on June 30.
That could mean that next year's calendar drops to 19 events, although there have been rumours in recent weeks that Ecclestone could be looking at resurrecting the Turkish Grand Prix.