Organisers have no plans to stop Dakar despite French minister comments

Dakar Rally director David Castera insists the organisation has no intention to cancel the 44th edition of the event despite comments from France's Foreign Minister.

Organisers have no plans to stop Dakar despite French minister comments

On Friday, Jean-Yves Le Drian said the possibility of cancelling the rally was "still on the table" after an assistance car belonging to French team Sodicars Racing exploded outside in Jeddah on 30 December.

Driver Philippe Boutron suffered a "very serious leg injury" as a result of the explosion, while the five other people in the car escaped unharmed.

French Foreign Minister Le Drian said it could not be ruled out that the explosion had been a terrorist attack, adding stopping the event would be a prudent decision.

The French anti-terrorist prosecutor's office announced the launch of an investigation earlier this week.

"We thought that perhaps it was better to suspend this sporting event, but the organisers thought not, but we have to be very prudent," Le Drian said in an interview with BFM TV's morning show.

"At the very least, they had to reinforce security, which they have done. The question is still on the table."

But rally director Castera made it clear on Friday that there are no plans to stop the rally at the moment, and that security has been considerably reinforced to avoid any kind of incident in the second week.

"Not at this stage, because the investigation is still ongoing," Castera said on French TV. "And as the minister rightly said, the question is to know what happened on the 30th.

"That is the question we would like to be able to answer today for Philippe and for his family.

"We have put in place a lot of additional security measures in coordination with the Saudi authorities. You can see it in the bivouac, around the bivouac, at the start and finish of the special stage... all to maintain an optimal level of security.

#403 Cobant-Energylandia Rally Team: Michal Goczal, Szymon Gospodarczyk

#403 Cobant-Energylandia Rally Team: Michal Goczal, Szymon Gospodarczyk

Photo by: A.S.O.

"We are asking ourselves a lot of questions, but until we get the answers, we won't draw any conclusions. For the moment, we are going to finish this rally and then we'll see."

Castera makes it clear that ASO's management is affected by the situation and that they hope that the sporting aspects will come first.

"I am very sad. I spoke to Philippe two days ago. The first thing I have to say is that he is an incredible guy, I was impressed to talk to him. I feel a lot of sadness.

"We organise a sporting event whose aim is to enjoy ourselves, to live the passion and in no case to be victims of attacks, if that hypothesis were to be confirmed. I am deeply saddened and my thoughts are with Philippe at all times.

"We will try to stay well and fight to ensure that sport takes precedence over everything else."

The Dakar reached its halfway point on Friday with its sixth stage. Saturday will be a rest day in Riyadh before competition resumes on Sunday.

shares
comments

Related video

Dakar 2022, Stage 6: Terranova wins, Al-Attiyah extends lead
Previous article

Dakar 2022, Stage 6: Terranova wins, Al-Attiyah extends lead

Next article

FIA dismisses Sainz complaints about Audi Dakar disadvantage

FIA dismisses Sainz complaints about Audi Dakar disadvantage
The positive future implications of Audi's creditable Dakar debut Plus

The positive future implications of Audi's creditable Dakar debut

OPINION: Audi has been a disruptive presence on the 2022 Dakar Rally, with its new hybrid RS Q e-tron taking three stage wins so far. Its impressive pace and resilience on one of the world’s toughest tests also bodes well for the Dakar’s future as it seeks to attract new manufacturers

Dakar
Jan 12, 2022
How Prodrive plans to use trial by Dakar to spur it to victory Plus

How Prodrive plans to use trial by Dakar to spur it to victory

Having tasted plenty of success in the World Rally Championship in the past, Prodrive took its off-road excursions to a new level with its first Dakar Rally entry this year. Now well-versed in the challenges that the famous rally-raid event possesses, Prodrive can learn from those lessons for next year's tilt at Dakar honours

Dakar
Jun 2, 2021
Why Loeb has joined forces with an old enemy for Dakar Plus

Why Loeb has joined forces with an old enemy for Dakar

The nine-time World Rally champion is heading to the Dakar Rally with an all-new project, and is joining up with the team he often fought against in the WRC - Prodrive - in his quest to finally add the most famed rally raid of them all to his bulging CV

Dakar
Dec 4, 2020
Richards on Prodrive's new Dakar challenge Plus

Richards on Prodrive's new Dakar challenge

With a stunning success record in motorsport, Prodrive is targeting a new crown by entering the 2021 Dakar Rally. David Richards provides an update on the programme, how COVID has slowed its plans and its options on who sits behind the wheel of its new car

Dakar
Jul 16, 2020
Why Alonso is already exceeding expectations in Dakar bid Plus

Why Alonso is already exceeding expectations in Dakar bid

How significant was Fernando Alonso's first cross-country rallying podium on a Saudi Arabian event last weekend? Very. The next leg of his post-F1 quest for versatile glory is going very well so far...

Dakar
Nov 12, 2019
What Alonso learned from his best Dakar test yet Plus

What Alonso learned from his best Dakar test yet

Double Formula 1 champion Fernando Alonso took on one of his biggest challenges yet in the five-day Dakar warm-up event, Rally Morocco. Alonso gives his thoughts on his progress in a "bittersweet" event, and whether he will contest the Dakar

Dakar
Oct 10, 2019
Why Alonso must heed Loeb's Dakar failures Plus

Why Alonso must heed Loeb's Dakar failures

Fernando Alonso is edging closer to a Dakar debut, but he should take heed of the lessons rallying legend Sebastien Loeb has learned through several near-misses, despite his promising performances at the event

Dakar
Aug 22, 2019
Why Loeb cannot be allowed to give up on Dakar Plus

Why Loeb cannot be allowed to give up on Dakar

Sebastien Loeb has been the fastest man on the Dakar Rally since he first appeared on the legendary event, but he's still not won it after four dramatic attempts. That story cannot end here

Dakar
Jan 20, 2019