Subscribe

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

No doubts over Marrakech WTCC despite Auto GP decision

The World Touring Car Championship round in Marrakech will go ahead as planned despite the supporting Auto GP series cancelling its races there due to "the political situation"

Auto GP announced this week that it had put its 2015 season-opener back to the Hungaroring in May and would not be racing alongside the WTCC in Morocco.

An Auto GP statement said "the decision was taken due to the difficult political situation that has been involving the northern African area in the last few months."

Series chief Enzo Coloni added: "We did everything we possibly could to line-up at Marrakech but, in an effort to protect our teams and drivers, we decided to postpone the beginning of the season to Budapest.

"In the years spent in Morocco we always felt at home and we will definitely miss the warmth of the crowds there. We hope to be back next year."

AUTOSPORT understands that the WTCC has no qualms about its presence in Marrakech for the April 18-19 event and will be racing as scheduled.

WTCC boss Francois Ribeiro declined to comment on the Auto GP decision. The single-seater series is also due to join the WTCC at the Hungaroring in May and Paul Ricard in June.

"We have worked with the AutoGP organisers as a WTCC support race since 2010 but we are not in a position to make a comment on a matter that's not legally or commercially settled," Ribeiro told AUTOSPORT.

Auto GP merged with the Acceleration FA1 series - which is also based on former A1GP machinery - over the winter in a bid to increase entries for the 2015 season.

It also introduced a car upgrade and arranged a Formula 1 test for its champion.

Ex-F1 racer Antonio Pizzonia led an eight-car field in Auto GP's pre-season test at Vallelunga last month.

Rookies Nikita Zlobin at Virtuosi and Andres Mendez at Zele are the only two drivers to announce definite Auto GP plans for 2015 so far.

Be part of the Autosport community

Join the conversation
Previous article Becoming world champion for £100k
Next article Nurburgring Nordschleife WTCC appearance for Sabine Schmitz

Top Comments

There are no comments at the moment. Would you like to write one?

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe