Gabriele Tarquini led the entire race from pole position, finishing ahead of teammates James Thompson, Fabrizio Giovanardi and Augusto Farfus Jr.
Despite being from the same team, the positions were hard fought. Thompson and Giovanardi collided at the end of the first lap and Farfus Jr had to work his way up from sixth on the grid.
BMW's Andy Priaulx finished fifth. The reigning Champion got away well off the grid and was up to second. However, the Alfas were able to drive past him easily on the straights thanks to the extra 20kg weight handicap officials have made rear-wheel drive cars carry from this race.
The SEATs were just as lively as the Alfas. Peter Terting finished fifth, with Rickard Rydell in sixth having collided with teammate and Championship new boy Jason Plato.
Plato finished eighth to take pole position for the second race. The first eight finishing positions are reversed for the race two grid.
Championship contenders Dirk and Jorg Muller finished ninth and tenth.
WTCC Round 5 - Silverstone (Race 1) Results:
Pos Driver Team Time/Gap
1. Gabriele Tarquini Alfa Romeo Racing 20:35.654
2. James Thompson Alfa Romeo Racing + 1.287
3. Fabrizio Giovanardi Alfa Romeo Racing + 1.626
4. Augusto Farfus jr. Alfa Romeo Racing + 1.924
5. Andy Priaulx BMW Team UK + 4.386
6. Peter Terting SEAT Sport + 5.595
7. Rickard Rydell SEAT Sport + 6.019
8. Jason Plato SEAT Sport + 10.187
9. Jorg Muller BMW Team Deutschland + 11.611
10. Dirk Muller BMW Team Deutschland + 12.170
11. Jordi Gene SEAT Sport + 13.542
12. Roberto Colciago JAS Motorsport + 17.103
13. Robert Huff Chevrolet + 21.842
14. Tom Coronel GR Asia + 22.195
15. Antonio Garcia BMW Team Italy-Spain + 26.590
16. Valle Makela GR Asia + 27.621
17. Marc Hennerici Wiechers-Sport + 34.754
18. Thomas Jager Ford Hotfiel Sport + 38.982
19. Thomas Klenke Ford Hotfiel Sport + 39.293
20. Adriano De Micheli JAS Motorsport + 39.547
21. Carl Rosenblad Crawford Racing + 40.512
22. Giuseppe Ciro Proteam Motorsport + 40.708
23. Alessandro Zanardi BMW Team Italy-Spain + 1 lap
Driver Team On Lap
Stefano D'Aste Proteam Motorsport 5
Nicola Larini Chevrolet 1
Alain Menu Chevrolet 1
Fabrizio Giovanardi Alfa Romeo Racing 1:26.969 (lap 2)
Volvo gave the World Touring Car Championship a major boost when it announced it would enter the series, but its ambitions don't stop there. JACK COZENS examines its programme, the S60 and what its arrival means for the WTCC
The 2012 World Touring Car champion says he never had the money to race cars. Yet 2015 is his 11th season in the WTCC. He talks STUART CODLING through his journey from motorsport fan to paid professional - for little more than £100,000