WRC Monte Carlo: Fans must be educated on safety - Jean Todt

FIA president Jean Todt wants to see more education for spectators in the wake of the fatality on the 2017 World Rally Championship opener in Monte Carlo

WRC Monte Carlo: Fans must be educated on safety - Jean Todt

A Spanish fan was killed when Hayden Paddon's Hyundai i20 WRC slid off the road on the opening stage of last week's event.

"It's very sad. It should have been avoidable," said Todt.

"In life you must have discipline and if you don't have discipline you must have respect.

"Motorsport is dangerous if everybody is not working in the same direction.

Don't blame 'new Group B' for Monte tragedy

"I am very sorry for the family of the victim and I am sorry for the family of rallying.

"I hope this makes people more aware about safety if they are coming to see this great show.

"People must be educated and follow instructions. The consequences can be horrible and people need to learn."

FIA rally director Jarmo Mahonen played down any suggestion that the increased speed of the 2017 World Rally Cars was a factor in the accident.

Having begun an investigation into the crash, Mahonen told Autosport: "I say to you what I have said to everybody who works with the FIA: calm down, we have to look at the investigation first and then we look at what can be done.

"This is the launch of the new generation car and, of course, they are a little bit faster.

"We are going to get the people who are not inside the sport who will start to complain about the speed.

"This [crash] is nothing to do with the new regulations. It would have happened the same with the [slower] Group N car."

Another spectator who was present on SS1 and close to the scene of the crash told Autosport: "It was 20 or 25 minutes before an ambulance came and five minutes after that the helicopter arrived.

"The place where the spectator was standing was not signed as a no-go area.

"Just before this corner, there were more people standing in what looks to be a dangerous area."

Due to its ongoing investigation, the Monte Carlo Rally organiser, the Automobile Club de Monaco, declined to comment beyond the statement it issued just hours after the accident last week.

shares
comments
Former Volkswagen WRC driver Mikkelsen working on private Polo deal

Previous article

Former Volkswagen WRC driver Mikkelsen working on private Polo deal

Next article

Mads Ostberg in race against time for private WRC Ford's debut

Mads Ostberg in race against time for private WRC Ford's debut
Load comments
How Finland’s newest rally hero made WRC history in Estonia Plus

How Finland’s newest rally hero made WRC history in Estonia

Kalle Rovanpera broke a decade-old record in becoming the World Rally Championship's youngest-ever winner in a truly dominant performance on Estonia's fast gravel roads. Staving off the challenge of Hyundai's Craig Breen, his committed drive showed a maturity beyond his 20 years that gives Toyota's post-Ogier era a far brighter complexion

WRC
Jul 19, 2021
How WRC's new Safari adventure ended with a familiar tale Plus

How WRC's new Safari adventure ended with a familiar tale

The World Rally Championship’s delayed return to the Safari Rally was always set throw up some surprises, but aside from a spirited showing by Thierry Neuville it became another painful event for Hyundai in 2021. Once again it was Sebastien Ogier who took full advantage as he completed a stunning comeback drive

WRC
Jun 28, 2021
Remembering Colin McRae’s final WRC win Plus

Remembering Colin McRae’s final WRC win

The Safari Rally returns to the World Rally Championship this weekend for the first time since 2002 - when crowd favourite Colin McRae set aside the maximum attack style for which he was renowned to deliver a textbook third win

WRC
Jun 23, 2021
How Hyundai's broken record gave Toyota a special Sardinia 1-2 Plus

How Hyundai's broken record gave Toyota a special Sardinia 1-2

For the second WRC gravel rally in a row, a promising Friday for Hyundai turned into desolation as Toyota gratefully picked up the pieces. This time it was championship leader Sebastien Ogier who took full advantage after Ott Tanak and Dani Sordo retired to score a memorable victory, having swept the road on the first two days

WRC
Jun 7, 2021
How Hyundai's latest self-destruction handed Evans Portugal victory Plus

How Hyundai's latest self-destruction handed Evans Portugal victory

At one point Hyundai held the top three positions in Portugal, but when trouble struck the Korean marque's two leading chargers, a grateful Elfyn Evans was on hand to see off Hyundai third man Dani Sordo and become the third different winner in four rallies

WRC
May 24, 2021
Why the success of AVB's WRC debut won't be defined on the stages Plus

Why the success of AVB's WRC debut won't be defined on the stages

Three years after a Dakar Rally crash resulted in him being airlifted to hospital, Andre Villas-Boas is preparing to make his debut on his home round of the World Rally Championship later this month. His goals for the event are modest, but the same cannot be said for the charities he plans to promote where his true impact could be felt

WRC
May 13, 2021
Why there's no easy fix for Hyundai's operational Achilles Heel Plus

Why there's no easy fix for Hyundai's operational Achilles Heel

Hyundai Motorsport boss Andrea Adamo was vocal in his criticism of his team's tyre choices on Rally Croatia and declared that he "had better move my ass and solve it". Doing so will be vital to getting Hyundai's 2021 WRC title hopes back on track, but finding the root of the problem won't be the work of a moment

WRC
Apr 28, 2021
How Ogier held on after a shock bump in the road to triumph in Croatia Plus

How Ogier held on after a shock bump in the road to triumph in Croatia

Sebastien Ogier was already in an incredibly tight fight at Rally Croatia before a surprise collision with public road traffic at the start of the final day. But the defending champion held his nerve to take a narrow victory and create further World Rally Championship history

WRC
Apr 26, 2021