Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Peugeot prepared for rough stuff

Peugeot is confident that it can keep its World Rally Championship winning streak intact despite the series moving off asphalt surface events on to rough gravel

The WRC's toughest rallies - Cyprus, Argentina, Acropolis and Safari - are next on the schedule. Peugeot has taken crushing one-twos on the last three events, but historically has faired less well on the rougher rounds of the championship.

But the team's third driver, Harri Rovanpera, reckons that trend could be about to be bucked after carrying out tests between the Corsica and Catalunya rallies.

"We did a full week on a very rough piece of road," Rovanpera told AUTOSPORT magazine. "My job was basically to try to break the car. I found that very difficult to do. The 206 is a much stronger car now than it was last year.

"The next four events are the roughest we will face all year and, looking at last season, you could say that Ford and Subaru will be a lot closer. But I'm quite confident after this test that we have a good enough package to win again."

For more details of this week's WRC news, plus a full analysis of Peugeot drivers Richard Burns and Marcus Gronholm on gravel, read this week's AUTOSPORT magzine, on sale Thursday.

Previous article Cyprus is crucial, says Ford boss
Next article Burns rates his chances in Cyprus

Top Comments