Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Cyprus is crucial, says Ford boss

Ford team boss Malcolm Wilson has said the next two rounds of the World Rally Championship - the gravel events in Cyprus and Argentina - will be crucial to the team's success

Peugeot is currently the runaway leader of the manufacturers' championship, collecting 52 points from four rallies. But the championship now heads to gravel events which has traditionally suited the Fords.

"We need to make a mark," Wilson told AUTOSPORT's sister publication Motorsport News this week. "The next two are crucial. So long as we can come up an improvement for Deutschland and Sanremo we should be okay."

But Wilson says that the team is in a better position now than it was on the corresponding events last year. Ford has scored 25 points so far in the 2002 campaign, but last season amassed just 16 points from the Monte Carlo, Swedish, Corsican and Spanish Rallies last year.

"We've got more points than we did on these events last year," he added. "At one point you'd have said that we were running away with it last year."

The Cyprus Rally takes place on April 19-21.

Previous article McRae aims for full fitness in Cyprus
Next article Peugeot prepared for rough stuff

Top Comments