Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Loeb gets Xsara green light

Runaway FIA Super 1600 Cup leader Sebastien Loeb now looks almost certain to move up to a Citroen Xsara WRC for the Sanremo Rally in October

The promising Frenchman, who has won all three rounds of the fledgling junior category this season in a Saxo, has long been linked with a drive in one of the four-wheel drive, turbocharged Xsaras on the Italian round. But since Super 1600 rules specify that drivers have to contest the entire series, he risked losing his points if he didn't contest Sanremo in a Saxo.

However, a Rallies Commission meeting earlier this week appears to have paved the way for the switch without penalty. Providing the decision is ratified by the FIA World Council on October 3, Loeb will use the Xsara in Sanremo before reverting back to the Saxo for the final two S1600 rounds, Corsica and Britain. He already holds a 14-point cushion in the standings.

Although the S1600 series is designed for privateers, Loeb is already tied to Citroen through a French championship campaign in a Xsara kit car.

"It now looks very good for me," said Loeb this morning. "Of course it's not completely certain, but I don't think the FIA should say no now. It's a good opportunity and, after all, the whole point of the Super 1600 championship is to give young drivers a chance."

Loeb doesn't underestimate the scale of the task facing him, though.

"It will be difficult for me to match Philippe Bugalski or Jesus Puras (Citroen's two regular WRC drivers)," he said, "because they have more experience of the rally and the car. But I finished 10th in Sanremo in a Corolla last year and this is definitely a better car than that, so I hope to get a better finish than that."

The Xsara WRC was instantly competitive on asphalt when it made its world championship debut on the Catalunya Rally earlier this year. The presence of three such machines in Sanremo could yet play a crucial role in denying title contenders important points.


Previous article On the loose
Next article Lundgaard switches to racing

Top Comments