Loeb to Race at Le Mans

Reigning world rally champion Sebastien Loeb has confirmed that he will take part in this year's Le Mans 24 Hours - marking his return to road racing for the first time in five years

Loeb to Race at Le Mans

The Frenchman is teaming up with compatriots Soheil Ayari and Eric Helary in the two-car effort from Pescarolo. The other car will be raced by Emmanuel Collard, Jean-Christophe Boullion and Erik Comas.

The switch of disciplines has been agreed by Loeb's Citroen team - and the Frenchman readily accepts that there is a risk he could hurt himself and damage his WRC title ambitions.

"If the team were not stopping at the end of the season then I do not know if they would have let me run at Le Mans," said Loeb, refering to Citroen's decision to leave the sport at the end of the year.

"For sure there is a risk. If I hurt myself then that could compromise Citroen's season as well as my own. In the team, though, they understand that this is a good experiment for me and they know me sufficiently well to know that I never take ill-considered risks."

Loeb, who has previously only raced in French national events and the 2000 Nurburgring 24 Hours, will conduct his first tests at Paul Ricard next week after his latest round of WRC testing in Greece.

And although Loeb's decision to make the switch to Le Mans is currently only a one-off, he has hinted that it could open up a switch of disciplines should he fail to land a front-line seat in WRC at the end of this year.

"This is a chance to discover another thing, to take pleasure and have a little experiment in a large car that is very different from a WRC," he said.

"It is true that the future in rallying is not rosy, and one does not know too much about where that goes. This experience could be useful for me one day."

shares
comments
Le Mans: the Full List of Entrants
Previous article

Le Mans: the Full List of Entrants

Next article

Spa 1000 Entry List Announced

Spa 1000 Entry List Announced
Load comments
The unanswered questions that define WEC 2021's controversial ending Plus

The unanswered questions that define WEC 2021's controversial ending

OPINION: The deeply unsatisfying ending to a brilliant World Endurance Championship GTE Pro battle in Bahrain had Ferrari provisionally heading back from the desert as the victor. But Porsche plans to appeal the outcome, which rests on a number of confusing elements that have yet to be satisfactorily explained

WEC
Nov 9, 2021
How the WEC's heavyweight duel reached its controversial flashpoint Plus

How the WEC's heavyweight duel reached its controversial flashpoint

The Ferrari versus Porsche fight for the World Endurance Championship's GTE Pro title had been a finely-poised affair, right up until Alessandro Pier Guidi's punt on Michael Christensen in the closing stages of the Bahrain 8 Hours handed Ferrari a provisional title, pending Porsche's appeal. Here's how the controversy played out

WEC
Nov 8, 2021
The remarkable fixes Toyota used to avert another Le Mans disaster Plus

The remarkable fixes Toyota used to avert another Le Mans disaster

The 1-2 finish achieved by Toyota at this year's Le Mans 24 Hours was a result that will have surprised few, given its status as pre-event favourite. But the result was anything but straightforward, as worsening fuel pressure concerns required the team's drivers and engineers to pursue "creative fixes" on the fly. Here is the full story of how it reached the end without a lengthy pit visit

Le Mans
Nov 3, 2021
How the #7 Toyota squad moved closer to clinching WEC's 2021 title Plus

How the #7 Toyota squad moved closer to clinching WEC's 2021 title

In the penultimate round of the 2021 World Endurance Championship, a better run of tyre wear for Mike Conway, Jose Maria Lopez and Kamui Kobayashi brought the Toyota trio its third win from five events, as the #7 squad put one hand on the title. Here's how the first of the WEC's two Bahrain enduros played out

WEC
Nov 1, 2021
The 10 greatest drives of lost legend Jo Siffert Plus

The 10 greatest drives of lost legend Jo Siffert

It's 50 years since Jo Siffert was killed in his prime at Brands Hatch. The Swiss scored just two world championship wins in a Formula 1 career spent largely with privateer teams, but showed on numerous occasions in single-seaters and in sportscars with Porsche that he could beat any of the best drivers of his era given the right equipment

Formula 1
Oct 24, 2021
Inside the Le Mans finish too barmy for Hollywood Plus

Inside the Le Mans finish too barmy for Hollywood

Team WRT has been at the forefront of GT racing for years and made a successful move to prototypes for 2021, capped by an LMP2 win on its Le Mans debut. It could've been even better had the race been one lap shorter, when its cars ran 1-2, but the stranger-than-fiction reality has spurred the team to reach greater heights

Le Mans
Oct 16, 2021
The standout memories of Le Mans 2021 Plus

The standout memories of Le Mans 2021

OPINION: With four of the five Hypercar entries unproven in a 24-hour race, it would not have been unexpected for at least one of them to suffer serious reliability trouble. That they all managed to make it through the race relatively unscathed, says GARY WATKINS, was something of a surprise.

Le Mans
Aug 24, 2021
Why Toyota's Le Mans victory was not as simple as it looked Plus

Why Toyota's Le Mans victory was not as simple as it looked

Toyota scored its fourth Le Mans 24 Hours victory and a 1-2, with the #7 car of Kamui Kobayashi, Mike Conway and Jose Maria Lopez beating the #8. But although it looked straightforward from the outside, Toyota faced serious problem that had to be solved with some quick-thinking and ingenuity

Le Mans
Aug 24, 2021