Ford to pull out of V8 Supercars after 2015 season

Ford will withdraw from V8 Supercars at the end of 2015

Ford to pull out of V8 Supercars after 2015 season

The manufacturer did not make a public announcement, but communicated its decision to stakeholders on Monday morning.

The move follows plans by Ford to close its Australian manufacturing plants by October 2016 and cease production of its Falcon.

The latest iteration of the car, the FG X, was released last week.

Ford Performance Racing and Team Penske DJR are the only teams that currently race with Ford.

Tim Edwards, CEO of Prodrive Racing (Australia) which runs FPR as a factory-aligned operation, expressed his disappointment at the news.

"Ford Australia's decision to not extend its commercial relationship with our team beyond the end of next season is extremely disappointing for our large and loyal fanbase, but as a business this decision now allows us to concentrate on our long-term future," he said.

Edwards did not rule out continuing with Ford beyond its official pullout, but said the team had already looked at other options.

"We will run the new FG X Falcon next season as planned with support from Ford, and we'll possibly campaign the car in 2016 ahead of the major regulation changes coming from 2017," he said.

"Now that we know where we stand we can further develop other opportunities. We have a range of options, some existing and some that were awaiting this decision, so we can now begin to explore these further."

Ford's long-standing rivalry with Holden in Australian touring car racing was the bedrock of the V8 Supercar championship from its inception in 1997.

The series was the exclusive domain of the two manufacturers until 2013, when a new set of regulations opened the door for the arrival of Mercedes, Nissan and Volvo.

shares
comments
Robert Dahlgren parts with Volvo V8 Supercars team

Previous article

Robert Dahlgren parts with Volvo V8 Supercars team

Next article

V8 Supercars opens up engine rules in radical 2017 'Gen2' revamp

V8 Supercars opens up engine rules in radical 2017 'Gen2' revamp
Load comments
How taming his temper shaped Supercars' slow-burn star Plus

How taming his temper shaped Supercars' slow-burn star

His decision to leave Brad Jones Racing was the biggest shock of the Australian Supercars silly season so far. But for Nick Percat, it comes as the culmination of a personal journey that has made him into one of the most rounded drivers in the series, now in search of a seat that can make him a champion

Supercars
Sep 16, 2021
Why replacing Supercars' GOAT with a teenager is worth the risk for T8 Plus

Why replacing Supercars' GOAT with a teenager is worth the risk for T8

On the face of it, picking an 18-year-old rookie to replace arguably the greatest Supercars driver of all time is a risky move. But as Jamie Whincup takes up a team principal role and hands his car to Broc Feeney, it's one that he is confident will be rewarded in the fullness of time - time which wasn't afforded to Whincup in his early days

Supercars
Aug 31, 2021
How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention Plus

How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention

After his fledgling career was paused by a battle with testicular cancer, Thomas Randle then had to wrestle with finding a drive in Supercars after he got the all-clear. It's been a long road for the Melbourne native but, after two lengthy battles, he's finally got a full-time drive to look forward to

Supercars
Jun 25, 2021
How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle Plus

How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle

With Supercars’ Gen3 era on the horizon, a shift is set to take place – in more ways than one – but, as has become clear in recent weeks, the plan to bin the stick and use paddles with electronic assisted shift has been met with fierce opposition

Supercars
May 23, 2021
Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske? Plus

Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske?

OPINION: Roger Penske's operation helped lift Dick Johnson's faltering Ford team back to the top of Australian tin-tops. But, despite The Captain's departure, along with star driver Scott McLaughlin, there's no reason to expect an imminent decline from DJR

Supercars
Feb 26, 2021
Why Whincup's next move is no calculated gamble Plus

Why Whincup's next move is no calculated gamble

Supercars' most successful team of the past 15 years is set for a radical shakeup next year when Jamie Whincup retires from driving and takes over the reins at Triple Eight. But the team's outgoing boss Roland Dane has full faith that he'll be up to the task

Supercars
Feb 5, 2021
The top 10 Supercars drivers of 2020 Plus

The top 10 Supercars drivers of 2020

In a year of few constants, the Australian Supercars championship could be relied upon for its usual blend of rough and tumble racing with a V8 soundtrack. But who were its top performers in 2020?

Supercars
Dec 27, 2020
The 'lifetime deal' that broke down in double quick time Plus

The 'lifetime deal' that broke down in double quick time

Last year, David Reynolds signed a decade-long deal with Erebus, seemingly pledging his long-term Supercars future to the team. One year on, "Decade Dave's" contract has been reduced to tatters, with an undercurrent of discontent having brewed in 2020

Supercars
Dec 18, 2020