Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads after clash with Antonelli

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads after clash with Antonelli

BTCC Snetterton: Rainford victorious in qualifying race, Sutton fails to finish after puncture

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Rainford victorious in qualifying race, Sutton fails to finish after puncture

Why McLaren removed its new front wing before F1 sprint qualifying in Canada

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why McLaren removed its new front wing before F1 sprint qualifying in Canada

McLaren finds ally in Red Bull over F1 team alliances concerns

Formula 1
Canadian GP
McLaren finds ally in Red Bull over F1 team alliances concerns

DTM Zandvoort: Cairoli takes maiden win as Auer grabs championship lead

DTM
Zandvoort
DTM Zandvoort: Cairoli takes maiden win as Auer grabs championship lead

Why Aston Martin hasn’t updated its F1 car since March

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Aston Martin hasn’t updated its F1 car since March

BTCC Snetterton: Cammish fastest from Ingram in hot conditions

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Cammish fastest from Ingram in hot conditions

Norris points out a key problem with F1 2026's energy management demands

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Norris points out a key problem with F1 2026's energy management demands

Ron: Heidfeld may still get McLaren shot

McLaren boss Ron Dennis has told this week's Autosport magazine that Nick Heidfeld could still drive for his team in the future, despite the fact that the young German's Sauber team mate Kimi Raikkonen got the nod to replace Mika Hakkinen next year

Heidfeld, who has a long term contract with McLaren, spoke of his disappointment when it was announced that Raikkonen had been chosen to get the vacant seat at the Woking team for 2002.

However, despite missing out to the young Finn, Dennis has left the door open to the possibility of Heidfeld bagging a drive with the Mercedes-powered outfit in the future.

"We will always use the best drivers available to us," said Dennis. "It may be a difficult decision to take, but we'll take them when we have to. Nick has more than a chance of driving for us. His contractual position was different [than Raikkonen's, who was not tied to a major team].

"We're looking at developing the best series of options for the future. We have several drivers contracted to this team. Not three, not four. We're spoiled for choice maybe. It's a very nice problem to have."

Dennis says that he is a fan of the recent trend of taking on younger drivers. Raikkonen and Jenson Button have proved, in recent years, those with less experience are capable of competing at the highest level. According to Dennis, it is important to keep a flow of talent coming into F1 in order to keep wages down and offer the teams a wider selection.

"There is a need for all the GP teams to be stimulating the driver market because if there's more demand than supply, the price goes up," Dennis added. "The way to keep stability is to make it a more competitive system, so more good drivers are getting through and you have more choice."

For the full story, see this week's Autosport magazine out tomorrow (Thursday).

Previous article BMW Aim to Have New Engine Ready in January
Next article Grapevine: Ramirez Bows Out in Style

Top Comments

Latest news