Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Feature
Formula 1
Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Vermeulen hits back at safety claims

Chris Vermeulen has hit back at criticisms from Valentino Rossi and Loris Capirossi that the sport's younger riders are not interested in safety matters

Rossi and Capirossi, head figures in MotoGP's Safety Commission, expressed frustration at the British Grand Prix that the new generation of riders generally stayed away from their Friday night meetings.

"A lot of riders say, 'aaahhh, this track is shit', 'with the asphalt no way', but then at 5pm on Fridays, nobody comes. Never," Rossi told autosport.com.

But Vermeulen has said he doesn't understand why Rossi and Capirossi have been so outspoken - because he has never been asked to go along to the meetings.

"They have never invited me to start with," said Vermeulen, who joined MotoGP full time last year. "All these (safety) decisions are made wherever they make them.

"It is like the new start rule that we get in warm up, which I think is not maybe the best idea. When we had the meeting about it, Nicky (Hayden) was there and we got told by race direction about what was going to happen.

"Nicky said he didn't know anything about it. Now, he is the world champion and they hadn't even consulted him! They (Rossi and Capirossi) might say that, but they haven't come and asked any riders. And I don't know when the meetings are."

Previous article Rossi says Assen win vital for title
Next article Elias targets Czech Grand Prix return

Top Comments