Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Albon and Ocon join Cadillac and Aston Martin with Q1 exit

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Albon and Ocon join Cadillac and Aston Martin with Q1 exit

Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

Mercedes boss defends Antonelli's fury following clash with Russell

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Mercedes boss defends Antonelli's fury following clash with Russell

Antonelli wants Mercedes "clarity" over Russell defence in Canada F1 sprint

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Antonelli wants Mercedes "clarity" over Russell defence in Canada F1 sprint

F1 Canadian GP: Russell wins sprint after Antonelli clash

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell wins sprint after Antonelli clash

BTCC Snetterton: Rainford victorious in qualifying race, Sutton fails to finish after puncture

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Rainford victorious in qualifying race, Sutton fails to finish after puncture

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell wins sprint after clash with Antonelli

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell wins sprint after clash with Antonelli

The F1 'court' that could unlock the Aprilia-Martin conflict in 72 hours

Jorge Martin’s representatives are calling for MotoGP to have its own contract tribunal, which would be similar to the CRB that governs issues in Formula 1

Jorge Martin, Aprilia event at Misano

Jorge Martin’s representative travelled to the Dutch MotoGP at Assen last week with a clear intention: to shake the hornet’s nest and push the stalled negotiations between Aprilia and the Spanish rider into a new phase.

Martin has been searching for an early exit from his contract with Aprilia since May and now his manager Albert Valera hopes everything can be resolved before the Spaniard's expected return at the Czech GP on the weekend of 20 July.

“It would be very important to have everything clear and settled before Jorge gets back on the bike, so he can focus all his energy on riding and not have to worry about external matters,” Valera told Autosport.

However, that goal seems unlikely to be met as talks between the Italian manufacturer and the rider are at a deadlock.

Valera’s statements on Friday in Assen triggered a significant reaction: championship CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta appeared on television to affirm that if no agreement is reached between the parties, Martin will not be registered for 2026 – even if he has a signed contract with another manufacturer.

“Aprilia says it has a valid contract with Martin, while his representative, Valera, insists he’s a free agent. For us to accept it, the two sides need to reach an agreement – or a judge must decide the matter,” Ezpeleta said.

Jorge Martin, Aprilia Racing Team

Jorge Martin, Aprilia Racing Team

Photo by: Gold and Goose Photography / LAT Images / via Getty Images

Ezpeleta’s remarks gave fresh momentum to Aprilia, prompting team boss Massimo Rivola to speak out: “Carmelo’s comments seemed very appropriate to me. We agree with his view, and we’re pleased. Our stance hasn’t changed: we believe the rider has a valid contract until the end of 2026.

“If he has an offer from Honda and is determined to pursue it, there are two options: either we come to a [financial] agreement, or we go to court.”

Both statements share a common denominator: the prospect of a legal battle that, if it happens, could drag on for a year or more.

What is the CRB?

Heading to court in Milan, which is the location stipulated in Martin’s contract as the place to settle any dispute, would be undesirable for both parties. The option of appealing to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has been firmly rejected by the Italian manufacturer and its legal team.

It’s for this reason that Valera is now pushing for MotoGP to implement a body similar to what F1 already has: the Contract Recognition Board (CRB).

The CRB is an independent body created by the FIA and Formula 1 in 1991, following several contractual disputes – most notably one involving Michael Schumacher and the Jordan and Benetton teams.

Jorge Martin, Aprilia Racing Team

Jorge Martin, Aprilia Racing Team

Photo by: Gold and Goose Photography / LAT Images / via Getty Images

Since then, the board has served as the highest authority on conflicts surrounding the validity of driver contracts in F1.

Functioning as a private sports arbitration tribunal, the CRB comprises of independent sports law experts with no ties to any teams or governing bodies. In disputes like the current Aprilia-Martin case, the CRB would review submitted documents and issue a ruling.

One key strength of the CRB is that its decisions are binding and final for all parties involved.

In addition, the board’s biggest advantage is the speed of its process: after both sides submit their contracts and arguments, the materials are reviewed within 48 hours to five days. A legal ruling is then issued on which contract is valid, and the FIA only registers drivers according to that decision.

Read Also:

These rulings can be reached in under 72 hours, and its avoidance of a traditional courtroom cuts the time, cost and public exposure that would come with a normal legal battle.

In addition, contractual details never reach civil courts, reducing the risk of leaks. This is a key factor in the Aprilia-Martin case, as the conflict hinges on a two-line clause in the rider’s contract that the Italian manufacturer refuses to disclose. 

Previous article Tank Slappers Podcast: Dutch GP review
Next article Liberty Media completes the purchase of MotoGP

Top Comments

Latest news