Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

National
Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Feature
IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

WRC
Rally Japan
The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Feature
MotoGP
Catalan GP
Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

Formula 1
Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

Feature
MotoGP
What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

Stoner fears Pedrosa more than Rossi

MotoGP world champion Casey Stoner continued playing mind games with Valentino Rossi on Thursday, saying Dani Pedrosa would be his main rival this season

Ducati's Stoner, who won the 28th Australian Sport Awards on Wednesday, claimed the 2007 MotoGP title ahead of second-placed Spaniard Pedrosa on a Honda and Yamaha's Rossi.

"Last year Valentino Rossi didn't finish second but third. Therefore I should fear Pedrosa more. Anyway it is better to be chased than to chase," the 22-year-old told the Gazzetta dello Sport.

He added: "We cannot try to keep this (the number one) without a lot of hard work. At the moment the pre-season testing is going very very well. We've improved the bike a lot in a lot of the areas that we really struggling last year. So at the moment I feel very comfortable.

"Also Bridgestone has done a fantastic job: we've improved a little bit with a couple of new tyres and we are just waiting for the beginning of the season. But I try not too expect too much from this season. I'll try to do the same we did last year and work hard at this."

Rossi, who has won seven world titles, finished outside the top two last year for the first time in any category since his rookie season in 1996. He blamed Michelin tyres and has switched to Bridgestone.

Stoner made similar remarks about Rossi earlier this year but the Italian has largely resisted the temptation to take the bait and start a war of words.

The season opens on March 9 in Qatar with the first-ever night race.

Previous article Toseland: we could raise a few eyebrows
Next article Melandri says his situation not alarming

Top Comments